I really don't understand Christians.

I get the need for Christianity, to feel like there's something bigger than them out there, looking out for them, watching over them. I'll admit that the concept of a celestial Father is kind of a comforting thought in theory, even if it's not really my thing.

But seriously, Christians? You follow God, you don't speak for him. You are not His mouthpiece. You might be His children, but you are not Him. In the same way that I wouldn't accept a scolding from my sister on my mother's behalf, nor will I accept judgment from Christians on God's behalf. If He has a problem with me and the way I live my life, then either He will find a way to let me know, or else I will deal with the consequences, whatever they may turn out to be. But that's my problem, not yours, Christians.

On the subjects of homosexuality and transgender people in particular, two topics near and dear to my heart (one of them applies to me, the other to a very dear friend of mine), I have this to say. If God created the universe and everything and everyone in it, as you say, then He created me. He created you. He created the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees and the gays and the transgender people. You say God is all powerful and all knowing and all seeing. To turn around and tell people that they are "mistakes and an affront to God" is pretty arrogant and presumptuous, don't you think? Not to mention hypocritical, when you think about how much "love thy neighbor" bleating you all do. What gives you the right, oh brothers and sisters of mine, to tell me that our Father is displeased with me and my life? He gave me that life, don't you think He is strong enough and wise enough to express that to me Himself without having his children sniveling at each other?

You take things too far, Christians. You use the Bible, which you purport to be God's word, and you twist it to serve your end. You take what is supposed to be the greatest love story ever told, and turn it into hate, hell, and fear. You say "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but shall have everlasting life" and then you turn around and tell me that this love doesn't apply to me, because I love girls. You wage wars in His name while He sits in heaven and weeps for the atrocities his children commit.

Yes, I am a lesbian. But I have enough respect for Christians and their belief in their God that I've capitalized all the right things, and spoken reasonably reverently of him. I might not BE a Christian in the strictest sense of the word, but it seems to me that I have a greater grasp of God's word than a lot of the so-called real Christians out there. I would like to end with a passage from the Bible itself, since it seems appropriate.

 

1Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

 

Matthew 7:1-5