I'm just slightly freaked out right now.

Because it's nice to have something stupid to read at work, I subscribe to the Craigslist rants & raves list. For the last few days some guy has been posting the same thing over and over again, some stupid rant about how twentiesomethings are idiots, etc, in list form. One of these said "If you have nothing cogent to say that has not already been said, shut up". It was annoying me that whoever this was kept spamming the list with the same thing over and over (and when I thought it was so stupid to start with). So I replied, pointing out this particular rule of theirs, and mentioning that "Perhaps you should consider taking your own advice."

An hour or so later, I'm sitting around and two emails pop into my mailbox. Two emails from two different anonymous remailers. I deleted them (which was stupid), but the contents were roughly:

"I hate to be the one to break it to you but it's bad news. We both have AIDS."

"You fucked up bad this time, asshole...."

Several things make this seem like bad news. First, they like taking things personally. Secondly, they know my name and I don't have any fucking clue who they are. The worst part, I think, is that they knew to use an anonymous remailer. Which probably means they've done this before, and more likely than not, that repeat posting of somewhat inflammatory content was a lure to get people to reply, giving this guy (I would assume it's a guy... I have met very few women with serious anger issues) a target to take whatever fucked up issues he's got out on. Though I got to say, the "We have got AIDS" thing is just weird.

This is probably nothing. He is probably out there now subscribing me to lots of spam lists or something stupid like that (I'm sure Spamassassin will handle the load fine). But, even still. I looked around carefully and made sure my new address doesn't show up anywhere (online resume, whois records, etc). I mean, fuck. What if this guy starts stalking me, or trying to cause me problems, or some nutty shit like that. But, yeah, it's probably nothing.

Making the matters worse, right before receiving those emails I had constructed a bong. I had never done this before - I'm sure most people first do this in high school, assuming they ever do it at all. It's about as cheap as you can get... a Bic pen I stole from work today (I prefer nice pens that unfortunately don't double as bong ingredients), a Nestea bottle, some foil to bridge between the Bic and my pipe, and some orange gum I chewed up to seal the bottle. It worked great, I was really pleased given how half-assed the overall construction was. And it's kind of fun to make random shit like that, just junk basically, but it's something you made. For some reason, probably because it got me extremely high in one hit, I feel a great sense of affection and pride for this bong right now.

Anyway... so yeah. Miserable weather, really high, and suddenly and unexpectedly threatened. That's my Friday night so far. I feel a little embarrassed to write this, but I think my feelings right now can best be expressed as: I want a hug.