I was drifting through the Deep South for some reason, just hitchhiking from place to place, and somehow I ended up staying in an old condemned mansion with a bunch of other drifters. The corrupt sheriff of the town we were in kept on trying to run us all out of town.

Eventually, there was an election for the position of sheriff, and we all tried to go out and vote. But one of his thugs was at the polling station, checking everybody's ballots to make sure that everybody had voted for the old guy, and he wouldn't let us vote against him. So we stood outside the polling station all day, starving, and the sheriff's thug promised us all full meals if we'd only change our votes, and nothing but a beating if we didn't.

Then for some reason, the whole town was in chaos, things burning and people running away, and I somehow ended up looting a convenience store run by one of the sheriff's cronies, behind the counter, throwing cartons of cigarettes and 30.06 ammo into my backpack. And then I was leaving town, walking down the highway, with everything burning behind me, and that's all I can remember.

I've been having a lot of cinematic dreams lately, but this has to be one of the most cohesive and story-laden. I'm not even going to try to figure out what it means.