It's worth noting that the Taleban are an Islamic group in the loosest, most fanatical sense of the word, and they're at least as loathed in much of the Muslim world as they are elsewhere. In particular, Iran, which shares a border with Afghanistan, has come very, very, close to an all-out shooting war with Taleban-controlled Afghanistan on a few different occasions over the last few years, and low-lever border conflicts continue to simmer away between them even now. Not surprising, since Iran is a shi'i state, and the Taleban are ultra-fanatical sunnis.

Equating the actions of the Taleban with that of the Islamic community as a whole is a bit like blaming the atrocities of the Lord's Resistance Army in the Sudan and Uganda or abortion clinic bombers in America, on all of Christianity - we're talking about a fringe of a fringe here. The Taleban are adherents of the Wahhabi school of sunni thought and jurispudence, which is the most conservative, and which only Saudi Arabia aside has attempted to build a state on, with, to gloss over the complexities, very mixed success. Even beyond this, they're mostly from isolated little tribal hamlets in the Afghan hills, and the draconian and oppressive laws which they've enacted since coming to power have more to do with the customs and taboos in their tribal homes than any school of orthodox Islamic thought.

As far as I know, only three Muslim countries even recognize Taleban-run Afghanistan as a legitimate state, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan1. The Saudis do so because they're both (nominally) Wahhabi states, and the Emirates have a long and venerable tradition of following the Saudi lead, politically. The Pakistanis do so more for regions of geopolitics than anything else; Pakistan and Afghanistan share a long, porous, mountainous, and badly defensible border, the sort of terrain that the Taleban are most adept at running a guerilla campaign out of, and northern Pakistan is rife with heavilly armed and militarily trained Afghan refugees and gun-runners. The Pakistani government helped set up the Taleban in the first place, and finds them impossible to wholly disavow, despite the huge political embarrassment they've become.

The much-publicized destruction of statues which has been going on lately is nominally grounded in the sharia, if you sort of squint at it right. Muslims are forbidden to have and worship graven images, especially of gods. However, most Muslim scholarship makes a distinction between idolatry and preservation of the past; Egypt, for instance, goes to great lengths to preserve the graven images of their gods that the Ancient Egyptian civilization left behind, though this is hardly surprising given the amount of tourist money they bring in.

The Taleban's attempt to create the world's purest Muslim state is probably totally foredoomed. Not simply because of foreign outrage and pressure from human rights abuses, but also because the laws and customs they bring are as alien and backwards to most of the cosmopolitan lowland Afghans they've conquered as they are to foreign observors.


1 This, obviously, is no longer the case. Recent events have left the Taleban almost wholly isolated on the world stage; Saudi Arabia and the UAE have both rescinded that recognition, and Pakistan is an active participant in the military efforts to remove the Taleban.