I was at the movies or something. A gathering. There was a good-looking guy and we made eye-contact, but the dream did not take off in his direction.

Instead, I ended up in a car with a friend of mine -- not anybody I know in real life, but we knew each other well in the dream. She drove while talking on her cell phone; I held the torn envelope with the faulty directions and tried to draw them out more clearly as she dictated. We were lost, but she was clearing it up with whoever she was talking to.

It turns out we weren't going anywhere most people would know about. We ended up on a long road running through farm land, and then she turned off to the right. There was a loop like a freeway exit, only instead of taking you back over the road you came from, it took us under. We ended up in a passage under the earth. We were not in the car anymore, and there was a lot of water.

The height of the passage narrowed rather suddenly. We were in a kind of tunnel; it was wide and not all that cramped and there was a creek running along the floor. I looked at the water and noticed that there was also a trail of rather large nuts and bolts running down the creek bed.

In order to advance down the tunnel, we had to lay on our backs with our feet toward the bottom. We used our hands to grab onto the ceiling to give us leverage for sliding ourselves down. At the bottom, everything opened up and we saw a guy in blue shorts walk into a door that we wouldn't have otherwise seen. The nuts and bolts were everywhere. The guy disappeared.

We went in the door and there were even more large nuts and bolts. Indeed, there was all kinds of scrap metal piled up against the walls. I thought we would be rich if we took it all to a scrap metal yard, but we didn't.

Time passed; I know not how much. We were showing other people the weird room with all the metal. I was going to surprise someone with a birthday cake, but a rat had eaten it or something. Things turned awkward in that room under the earth, and they sort of fuzzed out from there.

I awoke to the sound of my rather rotund upstairs neighbor walking around, and the thread of the dream was lost...