Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Avalon Hill
Model Number: 50030
Rarity: 7 Very Rare
Year of Release: 1983
Programmer: Duncan Scott

Wall Ball is a 3-D implementation of Breakout for the Atari 2600. This game was made by Avalon Hill, which is the same company that makes all those tabletop strategy games. This may have been available only as a Sports Illustrated giveaway, as most of the cartridges are labeled as such.

You control a transparent square that can move all around the screen. You must knock a ball at the wall in the background to break bricks out of it. This is much harder than Breakout ever was because you have to track the ball in three dimensions instead of two. It becomes easier with a little practice, but will never have the natural feel that Breakout had because it uses the joystick for a game better played with an analog control. A trackball or mouse would have been perfect.

This title is quite fun, and it requires the player to rethink everything they know about Pong and Breakout, and attempt to track the ball in three dimensions. This would have been one of the greatest Atari 2600 games ever made if it were not for the control issues.

Collectors Information

This game is fairly rare, just like most Avalon Hill games are. It is harder to get than you would think because it is actually fun. So collectors are much less likely to sell their copy. Wall Ball is valued at around $100 USD, and games with boxes and manuals may go for more.