Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Sears
Model Number: 99813
Rarity: 3 Scarce
Year of Release: 1977
Programmer: Steve Jobs

Beep, boop, beboop. Grab your paddle controllers kiddies. Its time to play Breakaway IV.

This game is an exact replica of Breakout. Sears decided to give it a different name to make it appears as some sort of sequel to the original Breakout. In hopes of making people buy the same game more than once.

The basic idea of Breakaway IV is to knock out all the bricks from the wall at the top of the screen. Very simple, and very addictive. This game also had a "Breakthru" option in which the ball would go all the way through the wall instead of taking out one brick at a time.

From the manual

SMASH! POW! CRUNCH! A brick wall appears at the top of the screen, and your missions is to smash two walls off the playfield -- one brick at a time.

Use the controller to move the paddle across the bottom of the screen. With the paddle, hit the ball into the wall. Each time the ball hits a brick, the brick disappears and you score points.

A player or team receives five balls per game. When you miss a ball with your paddle, the ball disappears from the screen. Press the red controller button to serve another ball until all five balls are played.

When a team or player destroys the first brick wall, a second brick wall automatically appears on the screen. Continue to hit the bricks of this wall and score more points. The player or team who can destroy two walls scores the maximum 864 points and wins the game. NOTE: If both opponents destroy the two walls, the team who used the least number of balls wins.

At the end of two-team games, the playfield of both teams or players will flash on and off the screen. That way, players can compare scores. Begin a new game and create a new brick wall by pressing the console Reset button.

Collectors Information

There were 2 different labels variations of this game, one with a photo and one with text. Both of them are worth a couple of dollars at most. Atari also produced a clone of this game entitled Breakout.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.