n., Mex.
A Mexican dish of fried angel hair pasta, onions, and tomatoes. This recipe will make a meal big enough for five really hungry people.

Ingredients
  • 2 packages of fideos -- available in the Mexican foods section of large supermarkets, get the ones where the pasta is still in coils and not all broken up into shards already
  • 2 24oz. cans of whole peeled tomatoes (this is way easier than scalding and peeling them yourself, and since this is breakfast you're probably not fully awake anyway)
  • 5-6 tbsp. oil (approximately -- you'll need enough to coat the pasta and the onions while you fry them)
  • 2 medium sized onions
  • 3 cups dried beans
  • 9 cups water
  • salt to taste, about 4 tsp.
  • 3 tbsp. white vinegar (approximately)
  • 2 packages of SoyrizoTM (or about 2 pounds of chorizo if you're not going for the vegetarian version)
  • stack o' tortillas

Procedure
In a pressure cooker, start the beans cooking in the water. The beans will be done in about 45 minutes.

Slice the onions into quarter-rings (not diced, but bigger chunks). Put half of the slices into a big skillet (a deep one, preferably) and half into a medium-sized one. In the deep skillet, add the fideos and the oil and start them frying. During this process, you'll be breaking up the pasta somewhat from its coils, but the bits will wind up being a couple inches long -- the point is to cook the onions until they're brown and to do the same to the pasta while simultaneously coating it with the oil. Open the cans of tomatoes and dump them in once the onions and pasta are browned. Stir this a bit to smash the tomatoes some and mix the liquid with the pasta. This is how you'll hydrate the pasta. Allow the mixture to simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.

Add the Soyrizo and vinegar to the other skillet and start heating it. The idea here is to heat up the Soyrizo and cook the onions only a little -- they should still be a bit crunchy when you serve the "meat".

If the tortillas are not warm, heat them over a spare burner on the stove (this works best if it's a gas stove, obviously).

Hopefully, everything will be done all at the same time. Add the salt to the beans (if you add the salt at the beginning, I'm told that the beans will be tough -- I don't know, since I always did as the wise old cooks told me) and stir it in. Dish up some beans, Soyrizo, fideos, and tortillas, and enjoy a tasty and hot breakfast!