Born on January the 14th in 1841 in France, Berthe was the first woman to join the impressionist movement. She was also one of the most active, exibiting in all but one of their shows, and regularly exibited works at the Salon. Her family was very wealthy, and she was brought up learning some of the finer hobbies such as drawing and painting. This was a fortunate chance since she is considered by many, along with Mary Cassatt, to be one of the most important woman painters of the 19th century.

Morisot's style was influenced early on by Edouard Manet whom she often posed for and whom with she became good friends. After a while, her style became distinctively unique, to the point where she began to infulence Manet's style. She encouraged Manet to paint less with blacks and the darker palette that he is so famous for, and to use brighter colors in his works. Berthe is most famous for painting happy domestic life, and children. Some of her more recognized pieces include: The Cradle, Summer Day, La Lecture, The Harbor at Lorient, Little Girl Reading, The Bath, and Hide-and-Seek.

"I don't think there has ever been a man who treated a woman as an equal and that's all I would have asked, for I know I'm worth as much as they" --Morisot

Berthe Morisot died of pneumonia at the age of 54 in 1895.