My life was stuck on fast forward. Over the next year, one by one, my friends faded out of my life.

The next ten years are very lonely for me. As an overgrown boy scout, I have zero appeal to women my own age. I make no new friends. eventually I end up on prescriptions to deal with this depression, always moving on to stronger and stronger [drugs.

Once I am well into my thirties, I am financially well off. At this point women start looking for a "nice guy" (finally!) and their attention turns toward me. I end up falling for the first woman that pays much attention to me, and we are married within six months. I am happy, and am finally able to stop depending on drugs to get through the day without killing myself.

A few months later an old friend calls me. Apparently she has realized that I was worthwhile, and wants to get together with me. I tell her how happily married I am, at which point she tries to talk me into having a torrid affair. She nearly succeeds (maybe she would have if we had been talking in person), but I am loyally commited to my wife.

A week later she asks for a divorce.

Apparently I haven't been fulfilling her sexual appetite, she is tired of dealing with such a "clumsy and inexperienced" lover. I was too love-struck to ask for a prenup, so this has the potential to be financially ruinous as well as emotionally devastating.

While we are in Divorce Court, I find security camera footage of her fucking some 19-year old jock. Apparently he's a more experienced lover than I.

After this I am very cynical of the women who claim to be looking for a "nice guy". I accuse many of them of being gold-diggers. I'm back on drugs, both prescription and illegal this time. I develop a more callous exterier over my "nice guy" core. This dark period lasts about five years.

By now I'm about fourty. I finally let my guard down, and fall in love with a wonderful seeming woman. I propose, and she tearfully accpets. A few months later, she leaves me when I insist on a prenuptual agreement. I don't know for certain whether she was a gold-digger or just offended by the concept of a prenup.