user since
Mon Dec 25 2000 at 09:07:44 (23.2 years ago )
last seen
Sat Jul 30 2005 at 01:56:32 (18.6 years ago )
number of write-ups
160 - View sgs's writeups (feed)
level / experience
11 (Literatus) / 6818
C!s spent
87
mission drive within everything
solve problems
specialties
lasagna, linux, perl, engineering
school/company
ITA Software
motto
make it count
most recent writeup
January 5, 2003
Send private message to sgs

summertime!
... advice of an old friend. He said "If someone asks you whether or not you golf, don't say 'Not really' or 'Not very well', etc. Instead, smile and say 'Well, I don't know if you'd call what I do golfing'")

Meanwhile, a few tidbits about me. First of all, I love to:

  • talk with people, read, learn new things, write
  • cook, eat
  • mess around on the computer
  • swim, bike, walk, fish....

I am from Po-dunk(Marion),Texas but have lived in Idaho(Idaho Falls), Houston(Crosby), Dallas(Irving), San Antonio(actually within the city limits!), Texas A&M(College Station,Bryan), Boston(Brookline), Boston(Cambridge), and now Boston(Somerville) areas(actual cities).

I am currently a system engineer (read: application specialist + linux sys admin + data feed maintainer and nit-picker ... with various other duties) at a small pre-IPO company...we write software to perform low-fare searches for airline travel. You can see our beta site at http://beta.itasoftware.com

I am enjoying my time here in Boston thus far. I left Texas to start a new life, and that it has been so far. I keep showing my past by referring to the subway (Bostonians call it the "T") as the "Metro" (which we had in the DC area). I've yet to go fishing in the Atlantic...(but finally made it to Revere beach!) I'm looking forward to that. blah blah blah You're still reading? Wow, I didn't know I could hold someone's attention with ramblings about myself. I'm also a good listener, feel free to msg me.


Nodes I sometimes think I might do someday: (please, if this inspires you to node these first, go for it)...the moral animal, rebates, bose, lasagna, Atlantic Monthly, salty tooth, nowhere, beer slogans, AIA/AFCERT, new coke machine, time to hit the showers, bag of dirt, race point, set like flint, watch, dmesg, mii-tool, ttcp (do people really care about these unix utils that make my life infinitely easier?)

Wonderful place to visit: Santa Barbara, CA:

a beautiful place in California. When you step off the airplane, you enter a unique airport and you know you're in a chillin place.

The beach is beautiful, and the people are wonderful. If you have a high per-diem and are on business travel, I highly recommend the Red Lion.

There is also the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB), but I have no idea how any of the students get an work done, they are so close to the beach.

Most of all: the weather is wonderful. There is this great mix of low humidity, sun, and mild temperatures....

Song lyrics I get a kick out of:

  • I wish I was like you....easily amused
  • despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage
  • ...I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?
  • I want my rib back
  • Here's a quarter, call someone who cares
  • I've come to wish you an unhappy birthday

Other interesting bookmarks: dumb as rocks


User Bookmarks:

Sort by name Sort by date