Soundtrack of Life - A Latin "Dance Impromptu"

"It Happened In Monterey" (Billy Rose and Mabel Wayne)  Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby (voc) Perez Prado (arr/cond) Perez Prado and His Orchestra. RCA 100th Anniversary Series: "Rosemary Clooney.

It was time to put the new Yamaha amp and speakers through their paces. And that was done beginning with the tune described hereinabove.

A jazz bassist who also is a hardcore hip-hopper came into the office when this song was on.

"Wussup wit the elevator music G?"

Went on a ride through Prado and Clooney's "Magic is the Moonlight," and juxtaposed Prado and Machito's versions of "Perdido." Prado's sold more but Machito's isn't as square.

Tested the bass response with a vinyl 12" remix side of "Dance (A Little Bit Closer)" by the Salsoul Orchestra featuring vocalist Charo.

The volume ended up on "7." Perilously loud. An employee came into the room and asked if we'd been drinking. The guy's eyes looked at me with a loathing undisguised.

The guitars scratched and sang, the Fender Rhodes twinkled, the strings and horns were sumptuous. And Charo, well, Charo was just, Charo.

║ the song and ◄◄ it from the top. Silence. For a split second, the guy who peered into my office must've been relieved.

For a split second, the anticipation was peculiarly unbearable.

Press ►. The drum riff that starts "Dance" went off like a machine gun. The first bass chord sent an imaginary wave of wind past us.

The two of us danced. Out of my office and into the hallway.

Now, mind you, this was a completely platonic thing. But onlookers had no way at all of knowing that, and indeed thought that the boss had gone mad.

They'll think that until tomorrow.

Moments like this

Make me thrill through and through

Careless moments like this close to you

Nonchalantly we dine and we dance

Yet my heart seems to melt in your glance

Sweet moments like this with the soft lights aglow

Make me long for your kiss though I know

I'd be just one of all your affairs

But at moments like this, who cares?

— Burton Lane

UPDATE: Am home and in bed. The house is silent but for the fan on my laptop and the ringing in my ears. Ringing caused by Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto with the Cleveland and some Japanese girl. At volume 9 (I was afraid to go to 10; but turned up the power amp gain to a healthy tick above unity gain). Oh, and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" back at 7. With the speakers a foot away from my ears. DON'T DO THIS AT HOME.