Tonight was the "lead" debut of a singer who, despite her veneer of delicate beauty, is a go-getter. That's how she got the gig, persistence. Backed by a very good combo of local performers who were right on target, her performance started out with her projecting the voice of a frightened little girl and grew, with time, into the fine vocal pyrotechnics of an assertive (and talented) young woman.

A student of scat-master Giacomo Gates, Mary Ellen Lonergan has a long way to go. In fact, I don't think she should've debuted so early. But that was up to student and teacher. Thank God that she didn't make the mistake that a lot of new singers make, recording an album.

There's another singer who'll go nameless but who selected a superb set of songs to lay down on album, but left me empty and unfulfilled. This singer's been around the block a few times, and should've known that the studio environment wouldn't suit her. She thrives on the vibe of an audience's appreciation. I'll give you one hint: the title of her album is a rarely-performed song that Sinatra did very, very well: "How Little We Know."
 

How Little We Know

Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer wrote this great song for a movie. Sadly, I can't remember the name of the movie; it was about a girl, a guy, and a maniacal scientist but despite my best tries on web and at library I can't find the disc that attributes Sinatra's singing of the song to the movie.

You can find the download of "How Little We Know" peddled by a variety of vendors of music on the web. I prefer the Sinatra version, although Carmen McRae does it justice. Don't make a mistake and download the Vivian Leigh version, though; you might be disappointed. That song was recorded far fewer times than the Carmichael version.

I'd be showing favoritism to Ms. Lonergan if I didn't mention that the singer whose debut album is How Little We Know is Karen Frisk. Frisk is the toast of P-Town in the summers. She would do well to record live, despite the noise factor, in a place she feels at home in.