root@badtz simonc# date -R
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:20:25 +1100

Alleluyah, it's a Thursday. Got an early ride home from Sydney yesterday, and walked in my front door at 6pm (it's usually closer to midnight). Gemma and Molly both happy to see me, and both exceedingly well groomed (Gemma from her toilette and Molly from Jim's Dog Wash).

My biggest techy drama this week is now almost resolved (pardon the pun) -- we have a load of domain names in a tricky European GTLD (which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty) and didn't our friendly European registry enter the incorrect IP addresses for our nameservers during a redelegation last weekend. What this means is that the WHOLE FRICKIN' INTERNET loses our nameservers and therefore our email and webservers too. I had a typically unhappy shop on Monday, and tracked the problem down by Tuesday, at which time our Euro friends corrected their error. Propagation is taking it's time though, and most of the USA and .au still can't find our machines, which is manifesting as no incoming email.

Needless to say, this is all my team's fault, according to the glares that we have been getting this week. Show me a happy user and I'll show you a well-adjusted and polite System Administrator...

The Great Sydney Fraptabulous Everythingian Get Together seems to be happening, which is such cool news.

I've got to add some more Linux stuff to my CV tonight, according to the headhunter. He's gunning for IBM and SIngTel. I hope I'm making the right decisions -- for the first time in my life I have a deep sense of career and I feel like I've got a chance here to make a smart move. I'm wondering mostly if I should go for Linux Business Guru at a big consultancy like Accenture or The Gartner Group or if I should join a hacker community in an evangelist and systems architect role at Big Blue. Suggestions and advice gladly recieved via /msg...

In other news, my "rip our entire CD collection" project is going swimmingly. I've got maybe 100 CDs done so far and I'm only 13% into my first 80Gb drive. The ripping and encoding is going slower than I expected though, probably 'cause I'm doing it all on a 233MHz P-II that's also the household's internet gateway and firewall.. Still, I am amazed by what is possible, given a 3 year old commodity PC with 64Mb and a modern Linux distribution....