A deliciously sweet tropical fruit (Mangifera indica) that is native to the Indian Burmese border region, where it has been cultivated for over 4000 years.

A good mango is a true wonder of nature; Bright orange flesh brimming with wonderful tropical flavours, offset by a tangy acidic finish.

Varieties and cultivation
However, not all mangoes are created equal. There are over 200 varieties ranging in size from a large egg, up to that of a coconut. Many varieties are highly fibrous and some have a distinctive turpentine flavour and aroma. It has been only through careful selection and crossbreeding that we have the marvelous commercial varieties enjoyed today, such as the bowen and kensington pride.

Mangoes were once a treat savoured only in the summer months, but due to the plant being introduced into far-flung corners of the world, they can now be enjoyed year round. Regions that produce notable quantities of mango are Central America, Mexico, Florida, Israel, South Africa, Australia and of course, Southeast Asia.

Uses
This versatile fruit is enjoyed in several ways. The most obvious is a ripe mango eaten as a table fruit, but the unripe mango is also used in two novel fashions.

Sour unripe mangoes are sliced and sun dried in India to make a distinctive acidulating powder known as amchoor. In Thailand the unripe fruit (as well as a variety that is ripe when green) is shredded into a sublime salad known as yam mamuang, which is redolent with hot chilli and fish sauce.

Perhaps the most intriguing regional mango tradition comes from Sri Lanka. A particular mango variety known as dumpara is quite small and unappetizingly fibrous. The juice however, is honey sweet and they possess a beguiling aroma. When this variety is in season, the mangoes are placed in a communal bowl and are then massaged until the flesh is soft and pulpy. A small bite is taken from the stem end to pierce the skin and the juice is hedonistically sucked out as the pervasive honey smell overtakes the house.

Selection
Skin colour is no indication of a mango's ripeness. Some varieties are fully ripe when their skin is still green; others remain tart while bearing a scarlet blush on the exterior. The only reliable method of choosing a sweet ripe mango is to take a deep sniff. The successful candidate will have an intoxicating tropical fruit aroma, with a slight yield to the flesh when pressed.
Serving
All mangoes contain a large oval seed, which can make serving a little tricky. Perhaps the best method of preparing the ripe fruit is to slice the fruit into 2 lobes off the side of the seed. Turn each lobe skin side down and score the flesh 3 - 4 times in a crosshatch pattern right down to the skin. Press the skin to invert the lobes and attractive cubes of mango present themselves for easy consumption.
Nutrition and medicinal uses
Mangoes are a valuable source of iron and vitamin A. One mango contains up to 20 times the vitamin A of an equivalently sized orange. The stem end of a mango contains a caustic sap that can cause nasty skin irritations to harvesters and occasionally trouble for sensitive throats. Apart from the fruit, the bark of a mango tree is used as a dysentery remedy and the dried leaves are used as a diarrhea treatment.