Over the past few years the scoring system for volleyball has evolved from the one described by miles, to a rally point system. Under this format, a team does not need to be serving to score a point, and has the opportunity to score from every rally. It was decided that this would speed up the game and make it more interesting for both players and spectators.

In Australia each set is 25 points and must be decided by a two point margin. By looking around the internet it seems it is played to 30 points in the USA. (If anyone can clarify this please let me know.)The fifth set is still played to 15 points.

Sideout: winning the serve from the opposition. This used to be extremely important when a team could only score while serving. This phrase is most effective when called out just as the opposition is about to serve. Distraction techniques are wonderful things.

'Libero': refers to a player who is free to move from the sidelines into a back court rotation without official substitution, given that they swap with the player in that position. Liberos can easily be identified as they have no number and wear a different coloured shirt. A Libero player is one highly proficient in passing (digging), and usually swaps with a front court specialist. Or those whose forte is NOT passing.