Actually Trina, I believe Last Kiss was played a lot last year. Mid last year one of my friends was killed in a car accident when a car coming the other way drifted onto the wrong side of the road. The driver was killed instantly, the boyfriend of my friend (who was driving) suffered critical injuries although he has since mostly recovered. My friend also suffered critical injuries ... and died three weeks later from internal injuries.

On the day of the funeral, Last Kiss started getting heavy radio airtime. It was the most appalling song to hear at the time. I remember driving a car load of friends up to Bendigo for the funeral and one of the girls in the back seat begging for the station to be changed. Even now, I cannot bear to hear the song - no-one who knew my friend can bear listen to that song anymore. It cuts too close to the bone.

Which brings me to your observation: Why do we love songs about misery? After all, when the song is close to events that we have experienced, we can't stand listening to it. Yet, if we haven't experienced what the song describes, people love it! Is it some sick voyerism aspect in humanity? Is it relief that our lives aren't as bad as those mentioned in the song? What is it? I'd love to know.