The larger pods of the Ancho, Poblano and New Mexican chile peppers are often roasted and peeled to enhance flavor, romance and texture. You can roast peppers in your kitchen if you have a gas grill or even better yet a charcoal grill, oh so good!

  • First cut a small slit near the stem to allow steam escape. You don't want exploding peppers do you ?

  • Place peppers over an open flame. You can place the pepper right on the grate or 4 to 5 inches from the charcoal.

  • Turn the pepper frequently, until the flame has blistered the skin on all sides but don't completely blacken the pepper. However, be sure that the pods are evenly blistered all over or they might not peel properly. The idea is to use intense heat for a short period of time.

  • Using tongs remove the chile peppers from the flame, and place it on a plate. Cover the plate with plastic wrap and let them steam for 10 to 20 minutes. Or, refrigerate the covered plate overnight. This steeping process allows the skin to pull away from the pepper's flesh, making the pepper easier to peel.

  • To peel the pepper, place it under cool, running water and pull the blistered skin away from the pepper's flesh. The skin should come off in small sheets.

    Now what to do once you have a naked peeled chile pepper in your hands ? My favorite to chop or blend equal amounts of roasted chile peppers and tomatoes, add little garlic and salt and you have the best darn fresh salsa anywhere. Beer is not only recommend but considered by some as essential.