True patriotism is* acknowledging that no country is perfect, but loving the foundations of your country enough to participate in the daily evolution of your country into a better place.

This ranges from voicing dissent when you disagree with something going on in your country, to voting in elections, to direct participation by running for office.


Disgusting and all too common, especially following September 11, 2001, is the trend of denouncing anyone who disagrees with something the government is doing as "unpatriotic", and telling them to leave the country. In my writeup under Forced Patriotism, for instance, I was making the point that the forced Pledge of Allegiance in public schools serves no (good) purpose. mblase wrote a response, having nothing to do with the node, telling me to leave the country if I disagree with anything:
"Well, you could leave.
Otherwise, just grin and bear it."
What the hell is that all about? Since when was the government, since when was society set in stone - something you have to "grin and bear" or run away from? I know the United States is an overall nice place to live. I'm damned fond of the Bill of Rights in particular.

Try thinking for a moment. How did the United States come into existence? It seems to me there was a colony of people getting annoyed at their government. Did they sit there and "grin and bear it" like some damn fools? NO!-They revolted! After many decades of progress, look how much better things are because of it!.

It is not a shameful or stupid thing to criticize your government. Do you have to vote for a republican just because a republican is the current president, even though you think he's doing a bad job? HELL NO! That's why we have the right to vote in the first place! You don't have to go live on a desert island to find a better government. In fact, please--don't leave!! Stay here and help us correct our flaws! We need more people like you, willing to stand up for what's right, willing to make the effort to aid our progress. If anyone should leave the country it's the lazy jerks who stand in the way of progress by calling everyone who thinks for himself "unpatriotic".
There is nothing more patriotic than participating in your society and government through reconstructive criticism.

So yes, bitch about whatever you don't like! Send mail to your elected officials! Go out and vote! Heck, go ahead and run for office! Hop on your soapbox and tell people what's wrong, tell them how to make life better! Participate in society's evolution!

To quote Ani DiFranco:
"We have to be able to criticize what we love,
say what we have to say-
If you're not trying to make something better
then as far as I can tell you are just in the way."



* - as with any writing, this is all in my opinion. you do not have to leave E2 just because you disagree with me