Victoria, B.C.
CANADA
Location: Victoria is the capital city of British Columbia (Also known as B.C./BC). It is located south of the 49th parallel, below the US border yet still in Canadian territory. It is a harbor city, situated on Vancouver Island. As it is the capital, it houses BC's parliament buildings, in all of their green-copper glory.

History: Victoria has a population that is smaller than the famous "Hollywood North," better known as Vancouver, BC. This leads many to wonder - "Why isn't Vancouver the capital city of British Columbia? It has a bigger economy, it's situated on the mainland, the city is huge... Why?!" ... The answer lies in history ...

Back in the days of the Manifest Destiny, America's "God given right to the entirety of North America", the US/CAN border was still under dispute. The Americans wanted all land up to the 54'40" parallel, and advertised this fact with posters and rallies. A common chant south of the Canadian border was "54-40 or fight," which frankly, scared the bejeezus out of the Canadian Government. The Canada-spanning railroad was still trying to break through the Rocky Mountains, so a quick injection of troops was not an option - Canada needed to place it's forts in a place that was easy to defend. Various locations were cited, some high-north (Alaska area) and some in the Rocky Mountains. But the final decision came down to the souther tip of Vancouver Island - it was only accessible by water, making an assault perilous at best, plus it was well south of the 49th parallel - an optimal launching point for any counter-attacks against US soil. Though it is not confirmed, many historians beleive that a Western-Canada invasion never occured because of this strategic placement.

Today: In modern times, Victoria holds it's own economy-wise. It is a large city, and is mostly tourism-based. Many businesses provide "new" and "exciting" products to entice people to shop there - the restaurant industry in particular is amazing.

Getting There: Victoria has an international airport, which has regular connector flights to Vancouver Int'l. The taxi ride from the airport to downtown will cost you upwards from $50, and will generally take 30-45 mins depending on the traffic. Alternatively, you can fly aboard a seaplane or helicopter from Vancouver, they land directly downtown saving you time and money. The most common mode of transportation to Victoria, however, is the ferry system. BC Ferries is a node in itself, though ;)

Noteables: One of Victoria's main "attractions," if I may call it as such, is the University of Victoria (Or UVic). UVic attracts many, many students and provides a thriving young'uns industry of clubs and bars, and a veritable metropolis of apartment buildings. More northward, Butchart Gardens, world-renowned for it's beauty and it's weekly fireworks during the summer months makes this city a popular tourist stop. Whale-watching, bus tours, daily displays of various artistry, and weekly art/fair markets downtown provide non-stop entertainment.

If you're looking for a beautiful city in BC to vacation at, this be the place. It's small enough to be easily accessible and still naturally beautiful, yet large enough to provide you with any entertainment you may be seeking.


Check out the BC noders list for Noders that live in Victoria.