"Moon" is also a verb.

To "moon" somebody is to turn one's back to that person, lean over, lower one's trousers, and display one's bottom. In some circles, "mooning" is considered vulgar, and in many situations it's just not okay at all. A job interview, for example, is a lousy choice of mooning venue1. This is so for two reasons: First, it's overwhelmingly likely that nobody wants to look at your ass. Second, mooning is usually taken to imply derision or defiance. If that's not what you want to convey, don't moon: Your intent may be friendly or even affectionate, but your audience probably won't realize that and they'll take it the wrong way. Intent is a funny thing. I agree that your ass has no intrinsic meaning: It signifies only itself, "ass". However, viewers will interpret your ass in many different ways. You could even say that, in a sense, the "text" that is your ass is created anew by each viewer. In short, don't go there. Keep your ass to yourself.

Depending on the physical attributes of the mooner (see "ugly as a man's ass"), mooning may be a bad idea in any context. Before you moon, please consider your ass and think of your audience.

Other noders may wish to share thoughts or fond memories about mooning. That won't be necessary, thank you. Really. Don't.




1 The lousiness of the idea depends on which side of the desk you're on. As an interviewer, I've often been filled with a great desire to moon applicants. Usually this happens with the ones who are lying just a little too outrageously and who think they're slick enough to get away with it. Then again, sometimes I'm just feeling capricious.