When I was in sixth grade we had HBO for free (it was already hooked up to the house we rented.) We had never had pay channels before, and could not seem to turn off the set, even if we had seen the movie more than ten times. Legend was one of those movies I watched over and over. I was in love with the sets, thought Lily (played by Mia Sara) was the epitome of grace and beauty and was particularly struck by the fact that she wore no visible eye make-up. I had a crush on Jack (Tom Cruise), even though his teeth were enormous. He looked like he was fifteen. I thought the unicorns were really amazing, but I wouldn’t admit it to anyone, because by that time unicorns were not supposed to be cool any more.

I watched this again recently with my daughter and husband (he fell asleep and she wandered off to play with blocks). I was again struck by the sets, which were really beautiful and fanciful. But I had forgotten so many things. Like how in the beginning there are these outdoor scenes where Jack and Lily are traipsing through the forest and the air is filled with particles. I guess allergies would have been hell back then. I noticed that the unicorns’ horns bounce around like they are strapped on with elastic. I noted how the director managed to get Jack half-dressed and squatting in many of many of the shots, as my husband put it, “Sheesh, enough with the thighs already”. In the scene where Lily dances for Darkness she is dressed as the ultimate Goth girl. I remember thinking the dance scene was my favorite, good girl gone bad, with her bony chest showing right down to the navel.

Darkness couldn’t really prevail without the horn of the female unicorn because she had the power of creation. Darkness even tried to get married, since he was not complete without a bride. But in the end he gets defeated by giant pie plates and sunlight, as well as a sword fight, complete with lots and lots of thigh action.

I would agree that this movie was kind of bad, but in the best way. If you are a twelve-year-old girl, Tim Curry fan, thigh aficionado or insomniac, this is definitely the movie for you.