"What are you, in love with your problems?" -No Compassion, by Talking Heads.

The above quote could easily be applied to the majority of Americans in this day and age. It seems that people view having problems as a good thing, instead of what it is: a problem. I couldn't count on one hand the number of times I've heard people say nonchalantly, 'oh yes, I have ADD/bipolar/depression/insert disorder here, I'm on like 5 different meds' or 'I don't eat, I harm myself, etc.' I don't want to stereotype, but it seems to occur more often in the younger crowd. It's one thing to admit that you have a problem, but to almost brag about it? It could make a person who isn't problem-ridden feel almost inadequate, as if they aren't normal because they are normal. Quite a paradox, but could it be true?

Not only do people love to brag about their problems, it seems to be all they can talk about. Have you ever held a conversation with someone who can only talk about how depressed they are? It happens quite often, and it's not exactly fun. Where do people get the idea that other people want to hear all about their problems and nothing else? What happened to talking about ideas and things that happened, instead of just yourself? What is most disturbing to me, is the fact that as much as these people talk about having problems and how much they absolutely despise it, they won't get help. They go on and on about how messed up they are as if it makes them superior to someone with less issues.

I'm not saying that having problems is a bad thing, because it's not. Everyone has issues that they have to deal with, but to put your issues on a pedestal for anyone to see is a different story. Since when did it become cool to have problems? I'm sorry, but last time I checked, being a drug addict wasn't something to brag about. Just another example of how society is declining as it advances, I suppose.