As residents of Colorado Springs are aware (and as was brought to more public attention by Ira Glass of NPR fame), the New Life Church has instituted a "tactical prayer assault" in Colorado Springs. No, this isn't a joke. This has been going on since the 1980's. Somewhere, in a shining holy war room the devotees of the New Life Church have a huge map of the city, carefully divided into sectors. To each sector is assigned church member(s) who systematically pray in front of every building in their sector on a regular basis. Effectively, the whole town is under a constant prayer assault more insidious than a World War I blitzkrieg.

This appears mostly harmless at first glance. Occassionally my Akita spazzes if someone spends too long in front of the house. As my roommate pointed out, however, that if prayer really causes change, this might explain why it's almost impossible to find good drugs, good sex, or just generally a good time within the city limits of Colorado Springs.

I'm afraid now, very afraid. I just bought a house on the outskirts of town where most of the suburban sprawl is taking place, and I wonder how much longer it will be before their war map expands to include my neighborhood, and how I can expect to fight back. Legally, what recourse do you have if every so often someone walks down your sidewalk and spends a few minutes in front of your home with his eyes closed? I guess what I really need is someone dressed up like a Choco Taco to run out and wield a Turkey Curse against the perpetrator of the karmic invasion.