I've always felt that time zones make no sense.

Originally created for the convenience of railroad companies, riddled with exceptions and inconsistencies, and utterly ridiculous on their face (just look at the crazy zigzag borders between time zones), they have nevertheless somehow become a sacred cow such that many people get angry if you even want to talk about changing them.

All of which is why I think it's time to get rid of time zones completely and have one single time zone, preferably using the 24-hour clock.

Think back to why timezones originally had to be created. Originally clocks were set according to the movement of the sun in relation to that specific location, and times differed slightly even from village to village as one moved east or west. But as technologies like the telegraph and the railroad developed, and travel and communication times decreased, it became too much of a headache to change watches and clocks at every station, and time zones were born.

Initially, time zones were called "railway time," and were used only by railroads and telegraph companies. In other words, these zones were created for economic purposes. Accordingly, the borders of the time zones were drawn to avoid bisecting internally cohesive areas of economic exchange, such as cities, states, and other highly integrated areas of economic activity. This is why these borders look so absurd, even today.

But in today's age of globalization, with our super long range, carbon fiber jet aircraft, Skype, and teleconferencing, communication and transportation technology have advanced to the point where the entire world has become an integrated economic zone.

This is why time zones no longer make any sense. Think about how much easier it would be to travel if we didn't have to constantly reset our watches. Think about how much easier it would be to set up a Google Hangout with five business partners on five different continents if we could just tell everyone to sign on at "1 o'clock", and that were the same time for everyone?

Having more than 24 different time zones worldwide and keeping track of them all has real economic costs for corporations, governments, and individuals, and even if the costs in any one specific case are rather minimal, in aggregate they are significant. This is why time zones had to be created in the first place, but now it is time for us to move on.

And what might we lose by giving up the time zone system? The only thing we would have to give up would be our nostalgic attachment to associating certain times of the day with certain particular numbers. So while "noon" might be associated with the number 12 for you, but it would refer to the number 17 for me. Given the headache of constantly calculating time zone differences (and often adjusting for daylight savings) familiar to anyone involved in transnational business, travel, communication, or collaboration, it seems like a very small price to pay.