In 1999 the Miami-Dade city council voted to allow a certain impoverished district in the Downtown area be host to approximately 10 venues with unrestricted operating hours and liquor licenses. Obtaining one was on a first-come, first-served basis, and was free as long as you provided proof of a valid business plan for a building in the area.

All ten were immediately spoken for, and work soon began on the first of the new 24 hour clubs, the now-legendary Club Space. Critics bashed the idea, citing the fact that no one would seek out entertainment in an area inhabited by degenerates and bums. In March 2000, with a heavy police presence, Club Space opened to a capacity crowd of 4000 people. The idly curious showed up, as well as media, and people sick of the upscale antics of nearby South Beach. The club was a hit, boasting a state-of-the-art EAW sound system and a Martin lighting array spread across 3 warehouses and a patio.

The critics silenced, other developers unveiled their projects, including many short-lived clubs, and a successful 24-hour strip-joint notorious for its VIP suites at 7 in the morning. The city was thrilled to have at least 2 successful venues in the area, providing a new tax base and an impetus to clean up the impoverished area.

Currently, Club Space operates until at least 2 PM on Saturday nights and Sundays, later when a guest DJ shows up. Goldrush, the strip club, might as well not have locks on it's doors, as it never closes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.