Classic children's story by Judith Viorst, in which a young kid has a day that goes from bad to worse. Told in a winning, utterly convincing style. Very, very funny.
For a very good paraphrasing, see Alexander the Great and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Very Bad Day
No, really. Go see it now! You'll laugh until milk comes out of your nose.


copyright 1972 Judith Viorst. Atheneum. picture book. ages 4-8. 32 pgs.


"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

And he's right! It sucks! It's funny how much it sucks! But it all ends ok. Message: Your bad day may make you cranky, but it's nothing to compare with Alexander's, plus it'll be over soon enough.

Judith, on how the book came to be:   "Alexander, the youngest of my three sons, seemed to be having A LOT of bad days. He fell out of trees, fell off of chairs, broke his wrist, knocked out his front teeth, and, in addition to these breaks and bruises, was involved in a variety of non-physical disasters and disappointments. . . these bad days happen everywhere, even in Australia, and since we can't escape them we might as well muddle through them and maybe even try (at some point) to laugh about them."

The book has sold over two million copies, and has been made into a play and subsequently a musical. I like Judith Viorst, so I will not pass judgment. She wrote the lyrics, and Shelly Markham composed the music. It is said to be suitable for all ages.


thanks to:
http://www.theatre.com/listings/main.asp?event_ID=2416
http://kennedy-center.org/programs/family/alexander/author.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.