At*tend"ant (#), a. [F. attendant, p. pr. of attendre. See Attend, v. t.]

1.

Being present, or in the train; accompanying; in waiting.

From the attendant flotilla rang notes triumph. Sir W. Scott.

Cherub and Seraph . . . attendant on their Lord. Milton.

2.

Accompanying, connected with, or immediately following, as consequential; consequent; as, intemperance with all its attendant evils.

The natural melancholy attendant upon his situation added to the gloom of the owner of the mansion. Sir W. Scott.

3. Law

Depending on, or owing duty or service to; as, the widow attendant to the heir.

Cowell.

Attendant keys Mus., the keys or scales most nearly related to, or having most in common with, the principal key; those, namely, of its fifth above, or dominant, its fifth below (fourth above), or subdominant, and its relative minor or major.

 

© Webster 1913.


At*tend"ant, n.

1.

One who attends or accompanies in any character whatever, as a friend, companion, servant, agent, or suitor.

"A train of attendants."

Hallam.

2.

One who is present and takes part in the proceedings; as, an attendant at a meeting.

3.

That which accompanies; a concomitant.

[A] sense of fame, the attendant of noble spirits. Pope.

4. Law

One who owes duty or service to, or depends on, another.

Cowell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.