In this phase of alarm response, rigidity and fear begin. The aversion pattern begins in a readiness to turn away from an attack response. The organism is in conflict, caught between fight and flight. The message is,
"You go or I will go!"
There is a sense of being trapped. We stay in this situation but begin to dissociate and lose control of our surroundings, and of affecting the other. This is the beginning of disorganization.

PHYSICAL RESPONSE IN THIS PHASE:
Head is suffused with blood, a grabbing in the mouth and hands, blood flow to the internal organs decreases, the pelvis and feet pull up severely, excitation increases.

A*ver"sion (?), n. [L. aversio: cf. F. aversion. See Avert.]

1.

A turning away.

[Obs.]

Adhesion to vice and aversion from goodness. Bp. Atterbury.

2.

Opposition or repugnance of mind; fixed dislike; antipathy; disinclination; reluctance.

Mutual aversion of races. Prescott.

His rapacity had made him an object of general aversion. Macaulay.

⇒ It is now generally followed by to before the object. [See Averse.] Sometimes towards and for are found; from is obsolete.

A freeholder is bred with an aversion to subjection. Addison.

His aversion towards the house of York. Bacon.

It is not difficult for a man to see that a person has conceived an aversion for him. Spectator.

The Khasias . . . have an aversion to milk. J. D. Hooker.

3.

The object of dislike or repugnance.

Pain their aversion, pleasure their desire. Pope.

Syn. -- Antipathy; dislike; repugnance; disgust. See Dislike.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.