In honor of my first E2 gathering at Tiptoe Through the Noders: An E2 Meet in Iowa City, IA, I have decided to share the recipe for the blueberry corncakes that I made for breakfast on Saturday morning. They are very good - ask atril, NatchLucid, erikbjo, or OcelotBob. Even better is the fact that they are rather healthy - low fat, as there is no butter, and low-fat milk and yogurt.

This is a nice change of pace for breakfast, a nice fruity taste without all the sweetness that regular pancakes and syrup offers. If blueberries are out of season, I would suspect that other fruit, such as raspberries, may do well in the recipe. This recipe was taken from the Morning Glories breakfast cookbook - instructions changed to avoid copyright issues.

Blueberry Corncakes with Creamy Blueberry Topping

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups non-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons corn oil
4 egg whites
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add the milk and 3/4 cup yogurt. Stir well. Add the corn oil, and stir well. Whip the egg whites until they begin to form peaks. Add into the mixture. Take 1 cup of blueberries, and fold into the batter.

Mix together the other cup of blueberries, 1 cup of yogurt, the corn syrup, and the vanilla. Keep seperate.

Heat a griddle, greasing it lightly beforehand if desired, to medium-high. Put the batter on the griddle to form 3 to 4 inch cakes, cooking until bubbles begin to form. Flip the cakes over, and cook for another minute or two.

Serve the corncakes with the yogurt/blueberry/corn syrup mixture as a topping.


Go To: Cookery : Recipes, alphabetical : A to E
Go To: Cookery : Recipes, categorised : Main Dishes : Breakfast Dishes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.