boustrophedon = B = boxed comments

box n.

1. A computer; esp. in the construction `foo box' where foo is some functional qualifier, like `graphics', or the name of an OS (thus, `Unix box', `MS-DOS box', etc.) "We preprocess the data on Unix boxes before handing it up to the mainframe." 2. [IBM] Without qualification but within an SNA-using site, this refers specifically to an IBM front-end processor or FEP /F-E-P/. An FEP is a small computer necessary to enable an IBM mainframe to communicate beyond the limits of the dinosaur pen. Typically used in expressions like the cry that goes up when an SNA network goes down: "Looks like the box has fallen over." (See fall over.) See also IBM, fear and loathing, Blue Glue.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

Slang for a vagina.

<colour> box

Multicoloured boxes were all the rage in the mid 1980's and early 1990's. These devices could be constructed by amateur electronics enthusiasts (usually to exploit the telephone system in some manner). Detailed instructions for making boxes were most commonly distributed as stand-alone t-files on BBSes, some of which were later collected and distributed as part of the Anarchist's Cookbook.

The most well-known boxes include the blue box (a phreaking tool that could generate telephone switching tones) and the beige box (essentially, a home-made linesman's handset). Some, like the blotto box (a device consisting mainly of a Honda generator and an electrical cord with an AC plug on one end and alligator clips on the other) were never really meant to be made. We hope.

The majority of the following boxes no longer work (and some of these probably never worked in the first place). They're presented as a window to the world of the BBS-era deviant.

The following links exist on e2, with precedence given to the Anarchist's Cookbook construction instructions. /msg me if you'd like something added.

"Fish, and plankton, and sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here. Ready! Fresh as harvest day!"

-- Box from Logan's Run

Box is one of the more obscure robots, albeit memorable and horrifying robots, in pre-Star Wars sci fi film history. Box is part C3PO, part Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Box appeared in 1976's Logan's Run (and, of course, the book upon which the film was based). Roscoe Lee Browne (best known as Saunders the butler from Soap) did the voice over work for Box.

Box is a silver semi android. He has a silver human head and silver arms attached to a very un-human silver box on a wheels. Box's job was to prepare and freeze meat and protein products shipped to him before transport to "the dome", the distopia where the civilians of the Logan's Run universe live out perfect hedonistic lives until they reach 30.

Quite mysteriously beef, fish, and pork meat stopped being shipped to him. However, Box quickly found a new source of meat, humans. Yes the other white meat. Shortly after the meat shipments stopped, humans started showing up. Runners, following the reputed path to Sanctuary, had to pass through Box's meat locker.

Box assumed humans were being shipped to him for meat processing and he dutifully started freezing runners.

Apparently in earlier treatments of the film, Box's humanity was going to be emphasized more. Box, while waiting for meat to be dutifully processed, bides his time creating beautiful ice sculptures. Box is probably a symbolic commentary on Nazi Germany. How man can act in robotic ways -- processing humans for the death camps -- yet still be a people that gave the world the most beautiful music ever written, the music of Bach and Beethoven? How could people that gave us such beauty also be the same people who gave us the ultimate in horror?

It's all about dualism, baby. Box is it.

Apparently another Box scene that was deleted is Box reveals he has frozen exactly 1056 humans for processing. This number matches a figure Logan was given earlier that 1056 people have run, looking for Sanctuary. Everyone figures many of those 1056 runners had found Sanctuary. Logan realizes no one has ever made it past Box. No one has ever found Sanctuary.

Box is new-ish jargon for the defending team's penalty area on a football (or soccer, if you like) field. To be inside the box means being positioned inside, or in the immediate vicinity of the marked 18 x 44 yard (16.5m x 40.32m) rectangle in front of your own goal.

Commentators and fans alike will often refer to the area in front of any goal as the box.

Box (?), n. [As. box, L. buxus, fr. Gr. . See Box a case.] Bot.

A tree or shrub, flourishing in different parts of the world. The common box (Buxus sempervirens) has two varieties, one of which, the dwaft box (B.suffruticosa), is much used for borders in gardens. The wood of the tree varieties, being very hard and smooth, is extensively used in the arts, as by turners, engravers, mathematical instrument makers, etc.

Box elder, the ash-leaved maple (Negundo aceroides), of North America. -- Box holly, the butcher's broom (Russus aculeatus). -- Box thorn, a shrub (Lycium barbarum). -- Box tree, the tree variety of the common box.

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, n.; pl. Boxes () [As. box a small case or vessel with a cover; akin to OHG. buhsa box, G. buchse; fr. L. buxus boxwood, anything made of boxwood. See Pyx, and cf. Box a tree, Bushel.]

1.

A receptacle or case of any firm material and of various shapes.

2.

The quantity that a box contain.

3.

A space with a few seats partitioned off in a theater, or other place of public amusement.

Laughed at by the pit, box, galleries, nay, stage. Dorset.

The boxes and the pit are sovereign judges. Dryden.

4.

A chest or any receptacle for the deposit of money; as, a poor box; a contribution box.

Yet since his neighbors give, the churl unlocks, Damning the poor, his tripple-bolted box. J. Warton.

5.

A small country house.

"A shooting box."

Wilson.

Tight boxes neatly sashed. Cowper.

6.

A boxlike shed for shelter; as, a sentry box.

7. Mach (a)

An axle box, journal box, journal bearing, or bushing.

(b)

A chamber or section of tube in which a valve works; the bucket of a lifting pump.

8.

The driver's seat on a carriage or coach.

9.

A present in a box; a present; esp. a Christmas box or gift.

"A Christmas box."

Dickens.

10. Baseball

The square in which the pitcher stands.

11. Zool.

A Mediterranean food fish; the bogue.

Box is much used adjectively or in composition; as box lid, box maker, box circle, etc.; also with modifying substantives; as money box, letter box, bandbox, hatbox or hat box, snuff box or snuffbox.

Box beam Arch., a beam made of metal plates so as to have the form of a long box. -- Box car Railroads, a freight car covered with a roof and inclosed on the sides to protect its contents. -- Box chronometer, a ship's chronometer, mounted in gimbals, to preserve its proper position. -- Box coat, a thick overcoat for driving; sometimes with a heavy cape to carry off the rain. -- Box coupling, a metal collar uniting the ends of shafts or other parts in machinery. -- Box crab Zool., a crab of the genus Calappa, which, when at rest with the legs retracted, resembles a box. -- Box drain Arch., a drain constructed with upright sides, and with flat top and bottom. -- Box girder Arch., a box beam. -- Box groove Metal Working, a closed groove between two rolls, formed by a collar on one roll fitting between collars on another. R. W. Raymond. -- Box metal, an alloy of copper and tin, or of zinc, lead, and antimony, for the bearings of journals, etc. -- Box plait, a plait that doubles both to the rigth and the left. -- Box turtleBox tortoise Zool., a land tortoise or turtle of the genera Cistudo and Emys; -- so named because it can withdraw entirely within its shell, which can be closed by hinged joints in the lower shell. Also, humorously, an exceedingly reticent person. Emerson. -- In a box, in a perplexity or an embarrassing position; in difficulty. (Colloq.) -- In the wrong box, out of one's place; out of one's element; awkwardly situated. (Colloq.) Ridley (1554)

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Boxed (); p. pr. & vb. n. Boxing.]

1.

To inclose in a box.

2.

To furnish with boxes, as a wheel.

3. Arch.

To inclose with boarding, lathing, etc., so as to bring to a required form.

To box a tree, to make an incision or hole in a tree for the purpose of procuring the sap. -- To box off, to divide into tight compartments. -- To box up. (a) To put into a box in order to save; as, he had boxed up twelve score pounds. (b) To confine; as, to be boxed up in narrow quarters.

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, n. [Cf.Dan. baske to slap, bask slap, blow. Cf. Pash.]

A blow on the head or ear with the hand.

A good-humored box on the ear. W. Irving.

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, v. i.

To fight with the fist; to combat with, or as with, the hand or fist; to spar.

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, v. t.

To strike with the hand or fist, especially to strike on the ear, or on the side of the head.

 

© Webster 1913.


Box, v. t. [Cf.Sp. boxar, now spelt bojar.]

To boxhaul.

To box off Naut., to turn the head of a vessel either way by bracing the headyards aback. -- To box the compass Naut., to name the thirty-two points of the compass in their order.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.