The Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) is the State Department's primary source for interpretive analysis of global developments. INR was established in 1946 to provide the Secretary of State with objective assessments, free of policy prescription or preferences. INR's mandate is to tell policymakers what they need to know, not what they want to hear.

INR is also the focal point within the State Department for all policy issues and activities involving the Intelligence Community. The INR Assistant Secretary reports directly to the Secretary of State and serves as the Secretary's principal advisor for all intelligence matters.

The INR draws on all-source intelligence, diplomatic reporting, and interaction with US and foreign scholars. The INR focuses on issues bearing on US national security, economic well-being, promotion of democracy. The INR also looks into global issues such as the environment, human rights, terrorism, weapons and military technology proliferation, and peacekeeping international organizations and agreements, and conflict zones.

The INR serves as a proxy organization for the State Department for the Central Intelligence Community to coordinate with the other elements of that organization.

Finally, INR develops intelligence policy for the Department of State, ensuring that intelligence activities abroad are in harmony with US policy and that collection resources are in accord with US diplomatic interests.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.