Chicken Pot Pie

Heat margarine over low heat until melted. Make sure the margarine is almost to a sizzle. Gravies and sauces made with flour will become lumpy if the fat is not heated enough before the flour is added. Blend in flour slowly to also avoid lumping, add onion, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly to avoid burning the sauce. Boil on medium heat and stir one minute to cook the flour. This is another mistake I learned from, sometimes the sauces and gravies I made would have a raw flour taste to them and I finally read somewhere that this was caused by not taking the time to cook it for at least a minute or two. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.

Prepare Celery Seed Pastry. Roll 2/3 of pastry into 13 inch square on lightly floured cloth-covered board. (A tea towel works well). Ease pastry into square pan, 9x9x2 inches; pour chicken filling into pastry lined pan. I refrigerate or pop the pan into the freezer while I'm making the pot pie filling. The colder the pie crust the flakier it will be since the fat in the pastry will melt quickly in a preheated oven and puff out the crust into those yummy flaky layers as it bakes. Roll remaining dough into 11 inch square; place over the top of the filling. Roll edges under and flute. Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape. Cook uncovered in 425º oven until crust is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Makes 6 belly warming servings. A complete meal since it has all the main food groups.

Easy As Pie!!!

Celery Seed Pastry

Cut shortening into flour, celery seed and salt with a pastry cutter until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, two tablespoons at a time, tossing with a fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons of water can be added if necessary for the right consistancy). Gather pastry into ball.

* If using self rising flour, omit salt.

This is a recipe I made up, though in looking at other chicken pot pie recipes I see that I stuck pretty close to the main ideas. (No I did not end up with chicken pan poptart – just stay on track). The real difference is the fresh lime juice, which is pretty crucial. It will make a taste that wakes up everything bored in your mouth. You could just buy a frozen chicken pot pie and add a bit of lime juice, but you don’t really want to cheese out like that do you?

You could use leftover chicken, or turkey for that matter and it will still be good. But you could also just cook up a chicken breast special, it is worth it. Do not be stingy with the chicken chunks, you are not going for those itty bits you find in canned soup, this is REAL food.

Also, I recommend a pre-made pie shell. When I try to make my own pie shells I can never guarantee deliciousness, whereas the store bought ones are never a bitter disappointment. If you are a freaky pastry chef by all means make your own.

Assemble the following:

1 chicken breast cut into decent chunks
1 pre-made pie shell, top and bottom
1 small can of mixed vegetables, rinsed
2 cans cream of chicken soup (or any creamed soup, no added liquid)
The juice of 1 lime
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. marjoram
2 TBS flour
A few spears of asparagus

Mix the cooked chicken, vegetables, soup, flour, lime juice, herbs and asparagus. Spread into a piecrust. Cover with other piecrust and mash the edges together with a fork. Make a couple of kooky looking vent holes. Bake at 350 for 45 min, or until the crust is browned. Hot damn that’s tasty!

If you want it to be really purty you can sprinkle it with paprika and make little marjoram flowers on the top.

Also, though I have not tried this, you MIGHT get good results with tofu instead of chicken, but I would marinate the tofu in garlic and lime juice first.

MMMMMM....Comfort food. This is one of those great garbage meals. Meaning, a good way clean out your veggie drawer if you have things that need to be used up. Hamster bong and I made this last night for her family. It went over well, which is saying something if you know hamster bong's finicky family. You can use pretty much any veggies you have handy. Those listed in the following recipe were simply the ones that were hangin' out round here last night. In the same vein, you may also substitute whatever herbs you have in your cupboard in lieu of what we used. It's pretty forgiving that way and just depends on your personal taste. Hamster bong attests that to really do this right you need a gigantic wooden mixing spoon measuring at least a foot and a half long with the spoon part being a good 5 or 6 inches, but again, that's really up to you.

Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
serves: 6-8

The Goods:

    Biscuit Topping:
  • 3 c all purpose flour (plus extra for rolling out dough)
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp dill
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp cold butter
  • 1 1/4 c milk
  • 1 egg

Execute:

    Filling: 1. Poach Chicken for 30 minutes in salted boiling water.
    2. Boil potatoes for 15 minutes.
    3. Drain chicken and potatoes. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place both into a large casserole dish and set aside.
    4. Heat oil in a dutch oven or a large pot and sweat vegetable mix, onion, herbs and salt and pepper till onions are transclucent (5-8 minutes)
    5. Whisk flour, milk, and water together till lumps are gone and add to vegetables. Stir till combined.
    6. Transfer to casserole dish on top of chicken and potatoes and set aside.

    Biscuit Topping: 1. Stir flour,baking powder, herbs, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
    2. Cut cold butter into pieces and mix into flour with hands till you get a crumbly texture.
    3. Pour in cold milk and stir just enought o bring it all together.
    4. Mold it into a ball, cover it and let rest in fridge for 10 minutes.

    Assembly: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Roll out biscuit dough to approx 3/4 of an inch thick and cut into 3 inch circles or squares and arrange atop the filling in the casserole dish.
    3. Whisk egg and brush over top of dough to give it a nice brown glaze.
    4. Bake 30 minutes or until Biscuit is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
    ENJOY!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.