An island in the middle of the Susquehanna, on which there is a stadium and sports complex. Also there is a small food court type area in which one can buy french fries, and other picnic type food. There is a small railroad that circles the island and provides entertainment to children. The island has a ferry, "Pride of the Susquehanna" which takes passagers on a tour of the Susquehanna River. The island is located very close to Harrisburg. There is a bridge that connects each side of the Susquehanna that has a break on the island, providing easy car access.

City Island is home to Harrisburg's minor league baseball team, the Senators. The Skyline Sports Complex is on the island as well, featuring a field for baseball, football and soccer, and sand volleyball courts. During the summer, there are various distractions available along the waterfront. Games, batting cages and Water Golf, a miniature golf course, are among the things that you can do. If all else fails, you can just walk around the island and enjoy the beauty.

Geographically, City Island lies in the Susquehanna river between Harrisburg (East Shore) and Wormleysburg (West Shore). The Walnut Street Bridge connected the shores at one time, until a flood in 1996 destroyed a span on the West Shore side of the island. The only way to get to the island from the West Shore is to take the Market Street bridge.

It wasn't until the late 1980s that the island became developed. The idea was the brainchild of Harrisburg Mayor Stephen Reed.

City Island Events

The island is open year round, although during the winter months there may not be much to do over there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.