This couple I know have an anniversary coming up. They live close by, and for the occasion, as a gift, I would like to give them something I made. 

I have a lot of ideas. None of them any good. Ideas present themselves, like suitors with pink roses, and each one seems so right until it doesn’t. 

It’s easy to fall in love, even with an idea. Johannes Kepler fell in love with the idea that planets travel in a perfect, circular path.

The planetary path is an ellipse; truth prevailed, but Kepler's heart was broken.

Andrew Wyeth fell in love with an idea he could paint the wind, and he did; “Wind from the Sea” depicts the inside view of an open attic window, as the wind blows a tattered lace curtain into the room

Wyeth said it was a portrait of Christina Olson, a friend who lived close by. Stricken with polio as a child, Christina lost the use of her legs. “Wind from the Sea”, Wyeth said, is symbolic of both her delicacy, and her strength

Ideas present themselves, they bat their eyes and giggle. It’s easy to fall in love with an idea. I had an idea I could make a gift as perfect as a circle. Beautiful as the wind in a lace curtain. 

Truth prevailed; I wrote silly words instead. My hands rolled out ideas and shaped them into pretzels. But in my dreams the words were there, like daisies in a field. The words to say I see in both of you a delicacy, and strength. 

In both of them, I mean. Those people who live close by. 

It’s hard to say how you really feel, when people live close by.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.