A monophonic analog/digital hybrid synthesizer with a 44-note (F-C) keyboard and a polyphonic section.
Released in 1980, produced through the early 80s.

The DS-2 was one of the first ever synths to use digital oscillators instead of voltage controlled ones. It features 2 DCOs with a 4-octave (32'-4') range, switchable between sawtooth, triangle and square waveforms. DCO1 also offers a pulse wave with PWM. A white / pink noise generator is included.

A 4-pole (24dB/octave) low-pass VCF is available as the filter, with controls for cut-off, resonance and envelope amount. The VCF and VCA both feature their own ADSR envelope generators.

There are two LFOs which can be independently assigned to the oscillators, VCA, VCF, pulse width or the polyphonic section. LFO1 is switchable between sawtooth up/down, triangle and square waves, while LFO2 offers triangle, square, staircase and random (sample/hold). Both LFOs have controls for rate and delay.

The polyphonic section consists of a single DCO and simple hi-/low-pass filters. It offers full polyphony over the 44 keys and a separate output.

Other features on the DS-2 include an audio input for modulating external sounds throught the VCF/LFOs, portamento and pitch bend. Oddly, only a gate interface (no CV) is available for external control.
The unit was designed to be a portable synthesizer, so it is basicially built into a sturdy carrying case.


Dimensions/Weight:
83 x 45 x 27.5 cm
23 kg


Information gathered from several places around the web, as always.

back to Crumar

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.