The opposite of "static". When people think about the future they usually do it from one of two perspectives. The first is that the future is static, like a mental image of Disney's Tomorrowland.
The second way of looking at the future is in a dynamic way, where we see the future as an evolution that is really an infinite series. Some people, mostly christian conservatives, see this as very threatening.

Having the ability to change, especially used in the context of having the ability to change easily. Such as in dynamic HTML, which is HTML that changes it's content and/or layout without reconnecting to the web server.

Also used in reference to friction that counters a constant energy source. Dynamic friction is why we need to continue to supply energy to our cars after they have already reached the desired velocity; As opposed to static friction, where energy is supplied only once per instance to put an object into initial motion.

Dy*nam"ic (?), Dy*nam"ic*al (?), a. [Gr. powerful, fr. power, fr. to be able; cf. L. durus hard, E. dure: cf. F. dynamique.]

1.

Of or pertaining to dynamics; belonging to energy or power; characterized by energy or production of force.

Science, as well as history, has its past to show, -- a past indeed, much larger; but its immensity is dynamic, not divine. J. Martineau.

The vowel is produced by phonetic, not by dynamic, causes. J. Peile.

2.

Relating to physical forces, effects, or laws; as, dynamical geology.

As natural science has become more dynamic, so has history. Prof. Shedd.

Dynamical electricity. See under Electricity.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.