It has been nearly seven years now. We've seen the best of each other. We've seen the worst of each other. Through good times and bad, we've been constant companions.

We started out together in college. We would go together, come back together. What started as a simple companionship soon grew more, and we would go out with friends for movies, coffee or pool. As we started spending more and more time together, we grew closer, and started having a lot more alone time. Often, we would go out on a whim, get drenched in the rain, and enjoy it tremendously.

Of course, I would be lying if I said that everything was perfect. Every friendship has bumps, and ours had its fair share along the road... Jealousy, anger, mistrust, betrayal; we've survived it all. Honestly, there were mistakes on both sides. I can't even count the number of times I have been stood up. Likewise, I'm somewhat ashamed (in retrospect) about shamelessly drooling at other options. As I grew more involved in my work life, I had less and less time for the random excursions that we both used to enjoy so much. Still, the important factor is that, even after all had been exhausted, we were there for each other.

Once, we had an accident together. It was a serious one, especially for me. My injuries were so severe that I don't even recall the details of how it happened. Yet all through the agonizing torment, we were concerned for each other first. The next six months were terrible. Each day, we would see each other, but both our injuries prevented us from being out together. That period taught us the value of our company. We came back from the injuries changed, especially in the way we saw each other.

Still, seven years is a long time for such a relationship. There have been others before me, and there might be others after me, but I'm certain that this has been, and will be, the one partnership which will leave the deepest impact on us. All good things must come to an end however. These days, there is no joy left, it's all just routine. We have both come to the silent realization that it is time to move on. Even the time that we do spend together is mostly by necessity and not by choice. Maybe parting is the right thing to do.

Yet, I'm still having trouble letting go. After all, selling my first motorbike is not an easy decision to make.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.