The first track off of Orbital's Snivilisation.

It combines layers of samples, a couple thousand synthesizer beeps, a steady dance beat, and buzzing bass, and spins them all around one of those man-ascending-to-the-realm-of-the-gods melodies that makes your heart leap for joy. I hum it all day. It sounds like the organ the angels play in heaven, and it's gotta be one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard without lyrics.

Kraftwerk meets Strauss meets Pink Floyd meets Juno Reactor. This song is six years old and still sounds more modern than any non-Orbital or non-Aphex Twin techno track I know of.

By the way, I like it.

Forever is another in a long line of nostalgia programmes showing in the UK, on ITV1. However, unlike the BBC's 'I Love The 90s' it is solely dedicated to the music of the year.

If you have seen more than one of these shows you probably have a set image of what will be included in a specific year: ie, everybody knows that 1991 = The KLF and Cathy Dennis. Right?

Forever takes a slightly different slant. The programme seems to be written (by Andy Darling) from the perspective of a non-snobby NME reader. 1991's programme did indeed feature Norwich's finest but also My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Metallica and Chapterhouse, none of whom have ever been in a nostalgia show to my knowledge.

The first time I watched Forever (at the wonderful peak time of 1am) it was the 1989 episode. I was greeted by the phrase "1989, surely the greatest year in pop history".

I myself have fond pop memories of 1989 (Donna Summer and Lisa Stansfield.. stop sniggering at the back!) but was taken aback at this sweeping comment. You tend to get laughed at if you suggest any year later than 1967 was 'the greatest year in pop history' but - for fuck's sake - 1989???!!

It turns out that this is a running joke, every year is introduced as 'the greatest'. Har dee har!

Any fool can slap a few music promo videos together and give a quick summary of the year, but Forever mixes said promos with rare interview footage. Seeing Miki and Emma from Lush doing an impression of a gagged brick wall makes you realise that the term 'Shoegazing' wasn't taking the piss.

After seeing the same old stock footage of your favourite band billions of times, it is so refreshing to see them in (often comically bad) early interviews, or introducing their 'new' video in crass fashion. It really takes you back to when you first heard them. Which is after all what a nostalgia show is meant to do, not just flash the cliched images of previous shows at you.


Like all great TV programmes lately, you can catch this at any time from 1am to 2.50am, on Saturday nights, ITV1. They wouldn't want to put anything not involving celebrity chefs or home makeovers on when people would actually watch it would they?

Also a book by Judy Blume, dealing with issues about first love, sex, and growing up in 1970s America.

ISBN 0671695304

Written for a young adult audience, Blume describes the happenings in the lives of Katherine and Michael through younger eyes, from their first meeting, their growing attraction and love for each other, the first time they decide to have sex, and Katherine's choices of birth control. When events happen to separate Michael and Katherine for a temporary (but extended) period of time, Katherine finds herself having feelings for someone other than Michael, causing her to question her concept of being forever with who she thought was the one. The book deals with the sexual exploration and discovery between Michael and Katherine in a frank and honest manner, with perhaps a little poetic licence in the rose-tinted glasses department.

For*ev"er (?), adv. [For, prep. + ever.]

1.

Through eternity; through endless ages, eternally.

2.

At all times; always.

In England, for and ever are usually written and printed as two separate words; but, in the United States, the general practice is to make but a single word of them.

Forever and ever, an emphatic "forever."

Syn. -- Constantly; continually; invariably; unchangeably; incessantly; always; perpetually; unceasingly; ceaselessly; interminably; everlastingly; endlessly; eternally.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.