Hum is by far my favorite band. I have been sitting here trying to think of a good way to describe their music, and I'm afraid I'm not coming up with much. Spacey geek-rock perhaps, but that's just my personal interpretation. Their songs, I find are thick with sound. Anyway, the lyrics are excellent too, and I shall commence to node as many of them as possible. Normally I don't like lyric nodes, but Hum is great, they deserve more attention than they get, and I like to share the beautiful things with people.. I suggest you check out some of their music on napster (while you can) at the very least. If you like your music more 'conventional' I'd start with something off of Downward is Heveanward, until you get used to the sound. I'm going to tell you, it may sound a little strange at first, but just leave it on you playlist for a while. I promise it will grow on you.

Album list goes like this, 'cause I just realized how screwed up pi's are:
Fillet Show
Electra 2000
You'd Prefer an Astronaut
Downward is Heavenward




Oh yeah, and the lead singer, Matt Talbot, doesn't provide any official versions of the lyrics, so it's mostly by ear. I may node variations on what Stride had done if it seems worthwhile.

We were put on this Earth with the instrument of humming ingrained into our being. It is, therefore, quite acceptable to hum with very few exceptions.

First and foremost, one must never hum the Jeopardy theme song.

Secondly, one must always remember to keep the mouth closed. To do otherwise is to invite peanut throwing from passersby. As we all know, it is worth twelve points to score a peanut in someones gaping mouth. Though we shant talk of this here, it is important to note that on airplanes this is especially important and easy to accomplish. It also helped slow the snoring epidemic of the early 1960s in airplanes.

Finally, while humming, you must focus on the letter "m." To do otherwise is to slip into the nasal "n" sound, making you look and sound quite ridiculous to the clientele you are attempting to impress.

 

 

 

Colors, 

or shades of them 

she preferred primary colors

yellow, red and blue

 

Textures,

the rough edge of our worn carpet

the soft blanket, once drapped across our bed

now balled up in a closet 

 

Sounds,  

a hum for example,  

It's important to differentiate 

the whir of the frig from the drone of a plane 

 

Memories,

the real ones

documented in letters and pictures

false ones,  that I cannot forget 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Hum (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hummed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Humming (?).] [Of imitative origin; cf. G. hummen, D. hommelen. &root;15.]

1.

To make a low, prolonged sound, like that of a bee in flight; to drone; to murmur; to buzz; as, a top hums.

P. Fletcher.

Still humming on, their drowsy course they keep. Pope.

2.

To make a nasal sound, like that of the letter m prolonged, without opening the mouth, or articulating; to mumble in monotonous undertone; to drone.

The cloudy messenger turns me his back, And hums. Shak.

3. [Cf. Hum, interj.]

To make an inarticulate sound, like h'm, through the nose in the process of speaking, from embarrassment or a affectation; to hem.

4.

To express satisfaction by a humming noise.

Here the spectators hummed. Trial of the Regicides.

⇒ Formerly the habit of audiences was to express gratification by humming and displeasure by hissing.

5.

To have the sensation of a humming noise; as, my head hums, -- a pathological condition.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hum, v. t.

1.

To sing with shut mouth; to murmur without articulation; to mumble; as, to hum a tune.

2.

To express satisfaction with by humming.

3.

To flatter by approving; to cajole; to impose on; to humbug.

[Colloq. & Low]

 

© Webster 1913.


Hum, n.

1.

A low monotonous noise, as of bees in flight, of a swiftly revolving top, of a wheel, or the like; a drone; a buzz.

The shard-borne beetle with his drowsy hums. Shak.

2.

Any inarticulate and buzzing sound

; as: (a)

The confused noise of a crowd or of machinery, etc., heard at a distance; as, the hum of industry.

But 'midst the crowd, the hum, the shock of men. Byron.

(b)

A buzz or murmur, as of approbation

.

Macaulay.

3.

An imposition or hoax.

4. [Cf. Hem, interj.]

An inarticulate nasal sound or murmur, like h'm, uttered by a speaker in pause from embarrassment, affectation, etc.

THese shrugs, these hums and ha's. Shak.

5. [Perh. so called because strongly intoxicating.]

A kind of strong drink formerly used.

[Obs.]

Beau. & Fl.

Venous hum. See under Venous.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hum, interj. [Cf. Hem, interj.]

Ahem; hem; an inarticulate sound uttered in a pause of speech implying doubt and deliberation.

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.