American GI slang, Vietnam era. Stands for "Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In".

Marillion's second album, released in 1984.

In the liner notes of the remastered version, Fish tells a story of many recording studios and lots of executives trying to get this album rushed out. I think he feels it suffered for that. At this time they were also going through their Spinal Tap phase, auditioning lots of drummers before settling on Ian Mosley. Fish had also been listening to a lot of Mark Hamill albums and picked up some Middle Eastern influences from that. The lyrics also get a bit misogynistic here and there.

Mark Wilkinson's cover for this one shows the jester with his costume off, possibly dead on a bed, holding a glass of blood, listening to a walkman, with again, tons of other imagery. There's a picture of a clown on the floor that will show up on the cover of Seasons End some five years later.

Tracks:

< Script For A Jester's Tear | Misplaced Childhood >

Ian MacKaye (vocals/guitar), Guy Picciotto (vocals/guitar), Brendan Canty (drums) and Joe Lally (bass).

Fugazi is a punk/hardcore group known for their anti-corporate stance much like Rage Against the Machine. What sets Fugazi apart, however is their willingness to practice what they preach. Much to the chargrin of Tom Morello, this band refuses to charge fans more than $5 for concerts and all Fugazi disks are released on their own record label, Dischord. Since their first release in 1988, Fugazi had built a loyal fanbase without ever having the benefit of heavy rotation on MTV or a Rolling Stone cover. They have mellowed a bit in the past few years but their message has been pretty refreshingly consistent.

Discography (up to 2000)

Fugazi -- 1988
Margin Walker -- 1989
13 Songs -- 1990
Repeater+3 Songs -- 1990
Steady Diet of Nothing -- 1991
In On The Kill Taker -- 1993
Red Medicine -- 1995
End Hits -- 1998
Instrument -- 1999

Fugazi formed in Washington DC from the ashes of two bands—Embrace and Rites of Spring.

The band consists of Ian Mackaye (vocals/guitar), Guy Picciotto (vocals/guitar), Brendan Canty (drums) and Joe Lally (bass). They released two EPs: Fugazi and Margin Walker, that were later released under the title "13 Songs" on one CD.

The same year they released "13 Songs" they recorded their first full length CD, "Repeater". Repeater would later be packaged with the single "3 Songs". "Repeater" shows a band that started nearly complete. Although Ian was still trying to shake his hardcore roots, "Styrofoam" could almost be a Minor Threat song. But it's not; the sinewy drum beat, and the jazz-like bass, along with the snaky angular guitars, will show that this is not Minor Threat, this is Fugazi.

"Steady Diet of Nothing" came out, with the band still on the path that it was taking with "Repeater". "Steady..." isn't as interesting or important as "Repeater" but it still is Fugazi.

After a few years "In On The Kill Taker" (1993) came out of some sessions with Steve Albini. That would explain why "...Kill Taker" is skinned-knee and rough. "...Kill Taker" sounds like Fugazi live, from what one can see from "Instrument". "...Kill Taker" is great, and probably my favorite Fugazi record.

In 1995, they released "Red Medicine", a great record, with sudden changes and great lyrics. Many would call it Fugazi's best, and it is probably Fugazi's most mature "band" album to date. On it they brought in some dub influences, and made some great instrumentals.

After a wait of three years Fugazi recorded "End Hits", on which they made the sound even more angular, with jagged sudden cuts between parts of the songs. Not for everyone.

In 1999, indie filmaker Jem Cohen released "Instrument", a film about many years on the road with Fugazi, featuring live material and other stuff, including a hilarious (almost painful) interview with fans outside a venue. Cohen had also filmed the making of "Red Medicine". He had designed the packaging of every Fugazi Record since "...Kill Taker". There was a companion CD with a lot of the material off the film.

In 2001 they released "The Argument", which is a very good CD, and has great selection of songs, though mostly they are quieter affairs. Along side "The Argument", they also made "The Furniture EP", which has several older live songs, and is really good.

Fugazi is still holding strong, still a great band who has a huge amount of influence among a lot of different styles of music.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.