"Glazing is Amazing!" -Dreyfoos School of the Arts painting teacher

Glazing is a painting technique that results in luminescent color and depth. Mixing an acrylic polymer emulsion, such as gel medium, with acrylic paint, creates a glaze. The glazing technique is most often combined with acrylic painting, but can also be layered with other medias such as colored pencil drawing. Glazing works well in combination with collage because in addition to adding color, glaze can be used as an adhesive.

Glazes can be applied in a single or multiple layers. Since the glaze is quick drying many layers can be applied in one day. Any surface that is suitable for acrylic paint will also be sufficient for glaze.

Heavy brushwork can result in the glaze foaming and/or streaking. Rollers can also be used to apply glaze. Fine textured and foam rollers apply a thin layer of glaze. Using a roller when glazing leaves the surface bubbly.

Paint opacity causes the ratio of paint to gel medium to vary. The most common ratio for transparent glaze is 7-10 parts medium to 1 part paint. The most common ratio for translucent glaze is 4-6 parts medium to 1 part paint. Glazes are water-based and therefore can be thinned using simply water or a flow-enhancer.

Glaz"ing (?), n.

1.

The act or art of setting glass; the art of covering with a vitreous or glasslike substance, or of polishing or rendering glossy.

2.

The glass set, or to be set, in a sash, frame. etc.

3.

The glass, glasslike, or glossy substance with which any surface is incrusted or overlaid; as, the glazing of pottery or porcelain, or of paper.

4. Paint.

Transparent, or semitransparent, colors passed thinly over other colors, to modify the effect.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.