'He' is how God is addressed in the third person. It's always capitalized, anywhere in the sentence.

God is referred to as a "He" even though He is not male nor is He female. It's just a limitation of our language. In english, spanish, or arabic, nouns are either male or female. Chair is masculine, but house is feminine, just the way language works. It's far too disrespectful to refer to Him as an "it" since He is living.

"He" is used to refer to God, with the full understanding that God is not a male.

In military or demolitions work, the capitalized HE is used as an abbreviation (and vocal shorthand) for High Explosive. This is used both to differentiate a substance from, say, an inert solid or a low explosive, as well as (most often) to denote a type of ammunition. For example, the HEAT tank main gun round is a High Explosive, Anti-Tank. Some examples of HE substances include:

He (?), pron. [nom. He; poss. His (?); obj. Him (?); pl. nom. They (?); poss. Their or Theirs (); obj. Them (?).] [AS. h, masc., heo, fem., hit, neut.; pl. hi, or hie, hig; akin to Ofries. hi, D. hij, OS. he, hi, G. heute to-day, Goth. himma, dat. masc., this, hina, accus. masc., and hita, accus. neut., and prob. to L. his this. &root;183. Cf. It.]

1.

The man or male being (or object personified to which the masculine gender is assigned), previously designated; a pronoun of the masculine gender, usually referring to a specified subject already indicated.

Thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. Gen. iii. 16.

Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God; him shalt thou serve. Deut. x. 20.

2.

Any one; the man or person; -- used indefinitely, and usually followed by a relative pronoun.

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise. Prov. xiii. 20.

3.

Man; a male; any male person; -- in this sense used substantively.

Chaucer.

I stand to answer thee, Or any he, the proudest of thy sort. Shak.

⇒ When a collective noun or a class is referred to, he is of common gender. In early English, he referred to a feminine or neuter noun, or to one in the plural, as well as to noun in the masculine singular. In composition, he denotes a male animal; as, a he-goat.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.