The Riva TNT is a very powerful video card. It offers better visual quality than a voodoo 2 and better rendering speed. Also, higher resolutions are achievable with the TNT than with a Voodoo and you don't need a patch cable to use it. It is pretty wicked.

Like TiK, TNT is an open source AIM client, but whereas TiK is written in Tcl/Tk, TNT is written in elisp, and hence runs within emacs. TNT of course stands for "TNT's Not TiK".

Strictly speaking, both TNT and TiK (and a few other clients written in other languages) are not actually AIM clients, they're TOC clients. AOL's AIM server is called oscar, and the protocol for talking to that server is also called oscar. Because AOL didn't want to publish the specs for the oscar protocol, they set up a proxy server, called the TOC server, which knows how to talk the oscar protocol to oscar, but which clients can talk to using a simplified version of the protocol, also called TOC. TOC stands for "Talk to OsCar". And AOL published the specs of the TOC protocol.

Also, note that users of TOC clients and users of the standard AIM (oscar) clients can all talk to each other transparently.

Several TOC clients, including both TiK and TNT, were originally developed within AOL, but since AOL has stopped further development, they have been taken over by the open source community. The latest version of TNT can be found at http://tnt.sourceforge.net/ .

The 1998 album by Tortoise. A superb 74-minute sonic masterpiece produced by John McEntire. Entirely instrumental, shifting mood-tones and colors... building.

Tracklist:
01 tnt
02 swung through the gutters
03 ten-day interval
04 i set my face to the hillside
05 the equator
06 a simple way to go faster than light that does not work
07 the suspension bridge at iguanzu falls
08 four-day interval
09 in sarah, mencken, christ, and beethoven there were women and men
10 almost always is nearly enough
11 jetty
12 everglade

The evening is moody forecasted contemplation. As my spiritual awakening to the music of Tortoise simmers to my head, I have few meager words and a thousand abstractions to say – with dosage, my voyage begins. The first pensive rolls of the drums, slowly the visage of crisp, clear ethereal 12-note guitar riffage sifting through my head, immediately recalling a thousand not-my-memories. I’ve known this riff all my life – never to hear it until now, the unfurling of archetype cosmic identification, sieving my head like a prism – I am one with Tortoise’s “TNT," awaiting every simultaneous gift it bears; years of scrutiny await & yet everything I have to know about life, the universe and everything is encased in these notes. The trumpet has an aroma.

“Swung Through the Gutters” strides in with its unrelenting bass march through the underworld of soundsnakes in soundscapes etching & itching my mind open, providing harmine receptors with a balance of tonal dissonance, wordless music talking to me, informing. The drums, their fractured mathematics drumming over crystal-clear production, I think of all the negative energy that soon will float away as a “Ten-Day Interval” approaches me.

The sweet hoarse echo hum of eternity sequences through the speaker and suddenly the slow mallet to vibraphone notes, pans and awakens. Then, a tapping of a note sequence and the slow arrival of a pensive bass laying out an infinite sprawl of collective unconscious tragic memories, loss, loneliness, disparity, all of these holding an intrinsic beauty, and as the song floats away, I realize that tragedy, archetypal or real, floats away.

Far away, the sounds of a playground, children having their youthful pleasures, and a sweet acoustic guitar summarizing that this is the world, and it is all for the children, “I Set My Face to the Hillside” is just that, the immersion of the non-polar simple complexity of nature. My internal visions of vast green pastures, snow-tipped mountains, all summarized by the hum of a squeezebox and the toots of a melodica, every plane, every partition of existence, perfectly in a cycle, all to see is right there. But what happens when we fuck with nature? Can it lead to a positive synthetic culmination?

“The Equator” attempts to answer this with bumbling synth bass over layers of inexplicitly fractal-processed acoustics, a synthetic life is equated with one of the natural life. We can reconcile the two and come to conclusions of distinct equality. We create our reality from the natural world, distorted as it is, synthesized to a worldview. This song illustrates the complete balance within our selves of a synthetic world.

A Simple Way to Go Faster Than Light That Does Not Work” soothes your muscles. It’s like a back massage, given to you by God. No distractions, just the vibration, and the determination to move onward. Thinking, you think, use to be something else, but now it’s an entirely different thing. This song I spend contemplating what has happened in the album, what in this listening, have I learned, and what have I to learn in the tracks that await?

The backrub of the ethereal, eternity figure over, it is time to make a mythic crossing, a metaphor contained within “The Suspension Bridge at Iguazu Falls.” A pangy, cleanly shaven guitar riff executes, and we are welcomed to the sweet sounds imitated of the water below us, as we engage in the godmind. And then the thunder, but this is not thunder of anger, no, this is god’s thunder of decisive action! Cleanly, in greatest honor played on bass, the thunder instills one with the prophetic subtext it airs.

But now, the searching comes, was it god who spoke to me? A “Four-Day Interval” is needed in slow contemplation, as images inside images, pixels on pixels, of every sight sound, layered in cosmic meanings from distant, far off places, some even occurring in other realms of reality, perhaps, interstellar. The collective unconscious is most open a suggestive at this time in communicating the closed-eye movie.

Passing to something that makes you imagine an entire society based on certain kinds of individuals, artists, socially-conscious, trip-conscious, people will convene – and that too, that too will be God. Once again, I realize that music can save the world. “In Sarah, Mencken, Christ And Beethoven There Were Women And Men” illustrates what our “awake” world could be like. The swirling bass line, the multi-layered percussion, the otherness, the slides, the acoustic classical guitar. It swoons the dreamer.

“Almost Always is Nearly Enough” is where things get weird, because they do. By this time in your listening, you’re going crazy. Nuts. This is nuts. This is created sound animals pulsating. inBOIL and his crew cutting their fucking fingers off. Creatures from the outer realms of Techra are the Triangular Dissids of Issid. Here, pictures are painted of mucus-membrane mountains, thinking to a collective thought pattern, that illuminates, and enlivens its world. And then you realize. You are talking in the third person. You are nuts. I am nuts.

And something needs to see me out of that tunnel. “Jetty” takes that spiral, and turns it into a walk, a guiding hand back to the conscious reality we live in every day. We then walk into the “Everglade” which drifts your mind to the right power place to see it all. Everything spread out before you, and you can do anything you want with it, bur remember: you can always walk away. To shits with the cosmic internment camps.

Tortoise's TNT is available at your local independent record store.

Norwegian hard rock band. TNT started in the Norwegian city of Trondheim in 1982. The members at that time were:
They started playing at clubs, but as people started to notice them, they got more fans. After a while they got a record deal with Vertigo, but since all of their lyrics were in Norwegian, the record was only released in Norway. This record, which was simply named "TNT" was far from successful.

In 1983, Steiner Eikum left the band. Morty Black, who was a friend of the rest of the band took his place. Dag Ingebrigtsen left the band in 1984 due to his personal problems. After this, the band received a tape from Tony Harnell, who became the new vocalist of TNT. After Harnell joined the band, TNT got a record deal with Polygram, which led to the release of "Knights Of The New Thunder" later that year. This time the lyrics were all in English, which led to international fame.

TNT released "Tell No Tales" in 1987, which was very different from their earlier albums. This album matched the term Poodle Rock perfectly, and made TNT popular in the US. This popularity led to a west coast tour the same year. The songs "10.000 lovers" and "Everyone's a Star" are the most known songs on that album. Morten "Diesel" Dahl left TNT After the tour, and Kenneth Odiin, took over the seat behind the drums.

In 1989 TNT released "Intuition" which started to sell in Japan at first. Even though Tony didn't want that song to be on the album personally because he thought it was too "pop".

In 1992 TNT released a new album named "Realized Fantasies" was released, after John Macaluso had taken Kenneth Odiin left the band. This album was very different from earlier TNT-material, so TNT lost many fans.

5 years went by before TNT released the next album, "Firefly", in 1997. TNT started touring Scandinavia and Japan (all concerts in Japan were sold out shortly after the tickets had been made available). August 1999 "Transistor" was released and featured more of the old style TNT.

Discography:
  • TNT (1983)
  • Knights of the New Thunder (1984)
  • Tell No Tales (1987)
  • Intuition (1989)
  • Realized Fantasies (1992)
  • Three Nights in Tokyo (1993)
  • Till Next Time (1996)
  • Firefly (1997)
  • Transistor (1999)

Most famous songs:
  • "10.000 Lovers"
  • "Harley Davidson" (UK version)
  • "Eddie" (US version)
  • "Knights Of The Thunder"

  • NOTE: Some of these songs are written by the bands that the individual TNT-members started.

Total Members:
Bands started by TNT-members:
Related Bands:

ASCII TNT System

Here y'all go! The TNT system for dummies and/or people with normal character sets. For those of you not in the know, TNT is a fully functional formal system for expressing (and deriving) number theory. It is just as complete in the realm of number theory as anything else, according to the author of GEB.


TNT Symbology


TNT Strings

A string of TNT is a in the following format:

given,given,...:Expression

I will go through each of the three parts (given, colon, expression) and explain their significance.

Givens

Some examples of this section:

Ea,Va'

Read as: There exists an a, and for all a',

~Va

Read as: Not for all a, or For no a. The ~ negates.

The givens section defines any variables (in this case, the a's and the a primes') used in the expression. If you don't define it here, then it is a malformed string.

:(colon)

Read as: it is the case that,

The connector between the givens and the expression.

Expression

This is where it gets sticky, and interesting.

Some example strings:

Ea,Ea':Sa=a'*a'

That string can be read as:

There exists an a, and there exists an a-prime, where the succesor of a is equal to a' times a'.

Or, in other words, two numbers exist such that one plus one of them is equal to the square of the other. An example of such a pair is 5 and 2. 2 square is 4, and 1 plus 4 is 5.

Meanings of the Symbols

This is only one of many, theoretically infinite, meanings. It is an isomorphism between human thought processes and the system. See GEB for more on this.

Now that you know the basics, you should be able to play around with the system to some extent.

Rules of TNT

RULE OF SPECIFICATION:
Suppose u is a variable which occurs inside the string x. If the string Vu:x is a theorem, then so is x, and so are any string made from x by replacing u, wherever it occurs, by one and the same term.

(Restriction: The term which replaces u must not contain any variable that is quantified in x.)

RULE OF GENERALIZATION:
Suppose x is a theorem in which u, a variable, occurs free. Then Vu:x is a theorem.

(Restriction: No generalization is allowed in a fantasy on any variable which appeared free in the fantasy's premise.)

RULE OF INTERCHANGE
Suppose u is a variable. Then the strings Vu:~ and ~Eu: are interchangeable anywhere inside any theorem.

RULE OF EXISTENCE
Suppose a term (which may contain variables as long as they are free) appears once, or multiply, in a theorem. Then any (or several, or all) of the appearances of the term may be replaced by a variable which otherwise does not occur in the theorem, and the corresponding existential quanitfier must be placed in front.

RULES OF EQUALITY
  • SYMMETRY: If r = s is a theorem, then so is s = r.
  • TRANSITIVITY: If r = s and s = t are theorems, then so is r = t.
RULES OF SUCCESSORSHIP
  • ADD S: If r = t is a theorem, then Sr = St is a theorem.
  • DROP S If Sr = St is a theorem, then r = t is a theorem.
RULE OF INDUCTION
Suppose u is a variable, and X{u} is a well-formed formula in which u occurs free. If both Vu: and X{0/u} are theorems, then Vu:X{u} is also a theorem.

Axioms

There are five TNT Axioms.

  1. Va:~Sa=0
  2. Va:(a+0)=a
  3. Va:Va':(a+Sa')=S(a+a')
  4. Va:(a*0)=0
  5. Va:Va':(a*Sa')=((a*a')+a)

NOTE: This may not be completely accurate, as I've written it from memory. Corrections are welcome. /msg s_alanet with them, please.

example proof

1: Va:(a+0)=a
2nd axiom
2: (S0+0)=S0
specification (1)
3: S0=(S0+0)
symmetry (2)
4: S0=S0
transitivity (4,3)
5: 0=0
successorship (4)
QED

This is a simple TNT proof that zero is equal to itself.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.