A fountain pen created by the Sheaffer Pen company. It was first created in 2000, and produced until 2004. It was typically made of a combination of metal and resin, with the cap usually all metal (save for the famous white dot). Its lines were those of some of Sheaffer's classic pens from the 1920s, while having some interesting asymmetrical design aspects (like the end of the cap).

One of the unique features of the pen was the filling system. The back end of the pen consisted of two knobs: a small one about 5 mm from the end of the barrel; the other further down the barrel (about a centimetre away from the small knob's end).

Unscrewing the larger knob would allow a drawer to be pulled out. This shelf would allow a cartridge or convertor to be inserted.

The smaller knob could be pulled out and turned. This would engage a gear at the top of the convertor, allowing the pen to be filled from a bottle without any disassembly (unlike other cartridge/convertor pens). It provides the best of both worlds with a very retro feel.

The nib is gold, and writes quite well. Again, it retains the classic Sheaffer inlaid design. Given its price at the time, it was a bargain for such a pen.

The only real problem with the pen is that the nib does seep a bit when the pen is closed. I haven't figured out if this is due to atmospheric conditions, the tight seal the cap makes with the barrel, or some other design aspect. This tends to get a bit of ink in the cap. In turn, when you post the cap, the ink gets on the end of the barrel. When you are done writing, and if you're not careful, this ink then gets on your pocket.

Sources:

http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/sheaffer.intrigue.html
My intrigue

In*trigue" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Intrigued (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Intriguing.] [F. intriguer, OF. intriquer, entriquer; cf. It. intrigare. See Intricate, Extricate.]

1.

To form a plot or scheme; to contrive to accomplish a purpose by secret artifice.

2.

To carry on a secret and illicit love or amour.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*trigue", v. t.

To fill with artifice and duplicity; to complicate; to embarrass.

[Obs.]

How doth it [sin] perplex and intrique the whole course of your lives! Dr. J. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*trigue", n. [Cf. F. intrique. See Intrigue, v. i.]

1.

Intricacy; complication.

[Obs.]

Sir M. Hale.

2.

A complicated plot or scheme intended to effect some purpose by secret artifice; conspiracy; stratagem.

Busy meddlers with intrigues of state. Pomfret.

3.

The plot or romance; a complicated scheme of designs, actions, and events.

Pope.

4.

A secret and illicit love affair between two persons of different sexes; an amour; a liaison.

The hero of a comedy is represented victorious in all his intrigues. Swift.

Syn. -- Plot; scheme; conspiracy; machination.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.