Run-D.M.C. - It's like that

A song that was first released as a single in 1984, later that year appearing on the album Run-D.M.C. The song was a hit and it appeared on their 1991 greatest hits compilation. It was successfully remixed by Jason Nevins in 1998, and later also appeared on the 2002 greatest hits compilation.

Unemployment at a record high
People coming, people going, people born to die
Don't ask me, because I don't know why
But it's like that, and that's the way it is

This isn't quite a typical today's rap tune: this is an old school song talking about self-improvement being the only solution to one's problems.

You should have gone to school, you could've learned a trade
Now all the time you're crying that you're underpaid

What makes this song unique is not only the insightful (if a bit reprehensive) message, but also the way Run and D.M.C. shout out their lines, alternating throughout most of the song. In a way they have to battle with the unrelenting, strong beat in the background, symbolizing the battle with life that the song talks about.

One thing I know is that life is short
The next time someone's teaching why don't you get taught?

The beat tends to get a tad annoying by the end of the song, especially in the remixed version (I think Nevins did a better job later with It's Tricky, albeit that one was probably much easier to work with since it's pretty trivial). There's also an incoherent verse here and there, but overall the lyric is pretty straightforward.

Here's another point in life you should not miss
Do not be a fool who's prejudiced
Because we're all written down on the same list

Overall, the song is very much worth listening.

It's like that (what?) and that's the way it is.

The whole lyric is 486 words so it can't be posted in full.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.