I'm an odd individual. instead of listening to all of my music collection, I tend to listen to only a fraction of it. I grab everything by an artist that I like, and then don't listen to half of it. Call me odd, but this is who I am.

It was Thanksgiving day and I'd just finished serving everyone their dinners. All eight of them, and had eaten little. I wasn't hungry, I wasn't much of anything other than upset. I'd talked to my sister/mom on the phone, and wanted to seriously sit down and have a cry.

So I sat in a glider rocker, knitting in hand, mp3 player stuck firmly in my ears. A somewhat familiar strain began to float in, and then James Taylor's celestially extravagant voice filled my ears. I listened, and nearly cried. I mentally translated the lyrics from "Carolina" to "San Anton" Because that's where my spirit is forever attached. This is where I have my best memories. Where I was raised, so to speak. This area. It's wacky weather, it's dirty river....

The thirty pound kitty jumped up and nearly broke my legs. It felt like that, anyway. She curled up and began to purr in sheer contentment. The song continued, as tears rolled down my face, and my hands exhaustedly work. Knit one row, purl one row. The blanket grew in length. A baby blanket for a child never to be.

Thank you, James. You've helped me through the hardest times. I don't idolize many people, but he's nearly an exception.

Workout log for December 27, 2009 through January 2, 2010

Tuesday, December 29, 2009: After a failed attempt at a long run on Sunday, I am back to trying to run my half-marathon schedule: Today was a 4 mile run on Fort Gordon and it went reasonably well. 2 laps isn't so bad and I feel like the shin splints I got in Charlotte are gone.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009: Five miles today at Barton Field. The only thing saving me was a unit of soldiers who walked onto the field, planted a flag, and then all gathered around to mill aimlessly. Something to look at for my last two miles and by God, I made it through.

Friday, January 1, 2010: Today I did something I've wanted to do for a very long while: I ran a 5k. The New Year's at Noon run is a cleverly worked in holiday run that caters to those of us who want to party away the old year but start out the new year with some slightly better decisions. I finished, in about 35 minutes, so I am thrilled that I got through the whole thing. One of my classmates finished third in the 25-29 age group, another was second in the 20-24 group, and his wife was third in the 25-29 group. All in all, I feel awesome about the whole experience and I have papers for about 10 more races in the next few months.

Sunday, January 3, 2010: Today was my long run, and I did it. With the help of my daring and courageous boyfriend, I made it the full 8 miles in approximately 80 minutes. He ran the last mile with me but otherwise I had him strategically walk countercurrent so I had to face him and be accountable. I have found that hankies versus shirts for mid-run nose-blowing are far superior. I actually felt really good on this run all the way up to about 6 miles, and then I started to lose it. Fortunately, at that point it was all over but the tears so I made it. I have never run this far in my life. Very big day for me.

Side Notes: I have taken to eating a little more straight salt and trying to get in some sports drinks to try to offset some of the headaches I have been getting. I have started icing my shins to try to prevent further bone splintering, and I really need to watch what I eat: Definitely gained over the holiday season. Another week, another 20 miles... maybe something will give.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.