"Do you have the faintest clue where you're going?" said Conall. He did not look up at Meg as he said this, for he was knitting furiously, the sound of the knitting needles clicking faster than Meg had ever heard.

Meg put another stick on the fire. "Cerridwen sounds like a Cymru name, and I only hear of magic cauldrons from that direction. So, somewhere in Cymru, and I can always ask for directions."

"Can you sail?"

"Maybe."

"Can you pay for passage on a sailboat? Oh, mercy's sake, here." He put his knitting down and dug in his belt bag. He brought out three shining stones. "This ought to do, and if that's not enough maybe you can glower at the captain." He handed them to Meg.

"Or you could offer to row," said Ciara.

"I may have to make that offer," said Meg. "We will see. What are you making anyway Conall?"

"A nice red sweater. Can you wait a few days? I should have it finished by then."

"You started last night," said Ciara. "How in Morrigan's name are you going to finish in three days?"

"Especially if you're knitting something for my size," said Meg.

"Oh I don't know," said Conall. "Maybe I was stirring a magic cauldron full of a potion to impart the skill of knitting, and some of the potion fell on my finger, and – "

"Watch yourself," said Meg. "That's not a story to joke about if Cerridwen is listening."

"What will she do?" said Conall. "Turn me into a frog? Ribbit, ribbit."

"She might increase the price on me," said Meg. "It's probably a big enough price already. I have to dig up Deirdre and – "

"You what?" said Conall and Ciara at the same time.

"And take a fingerbone or something! I don't know!"

"Oh phew," said Ciara. "I thought you had to bring her entire body. That would get pretty gross after a while. Alright, well, the ground isn't too hard yet. We can dig her up tomorrow."

 

That night it rained harder than anyone remembered in a while.

The next morning, the fields were a flattened waste and the ground was a muddy mess. Nobody would be digging through anything.

"Well," said Bran. "At least we got the wheat and the hay in on time."

"But not the rye," said Aoife. "It might be a hard winter unless we can hunt. Meg, are you sure you don't want to stay here? You're a decent hunter."

"Bleiz is better than me by far," said Meg.

"But you can handle a boar," said Bran. "Better than anyone else except Deirdre…um…I'll keep my mouth shut now."

"Please do," said Meg. "Anyway, I eat a lot of food as it is. Better to not have me around hogging all the bread, eh?"

Nobody agreed with this sentiment, and everyone begged Meg to stay. But they also knew that if she didn't try to bring Deirdre back, she'd never be the same, and neither would they.

So, on a misty morning, when cloudy was the weather, as it usually was, Meg rolled out of a bed that someone had once shared, and she put on her new sweater that someone would have adored, and she packed up all her things including a little wooden bird someone had once carved for her, and she stepped out of the big round house that had once held light and laughter, and she closed the door on it, and bade it goodbye.

Then she gave everyone a great big hug, and bade them all goodbye, and promised she would be back someday soon, with Deirdre beside her.

As she made her way through the gate, she saw a crow perched atop it, giving her an odd look. For a moment it brought her up short. But she kept on, and made her way down the road, into the mist, and did not look back.

 

 

Up hill and down dale she walked, under cloud and under sun, past field and farm, beside forest and bog, and one day, as she was passing through the mist, she heard a cry beside the road.

"Oh help!" said a man's voice from somewhere nearby. "I am sinking in the bog, and I shall surely drown! Please help me!"

Meg looked around her and saw nothing but heather. "Show yourself!" she cried.

"That's a bit of a tall order," said the voice. "I could wave to you but my hands are also stuck."

Suddenly there was the little man, standing in front of a tall shrub, pointing at a spot Meg had thought was a half-sunk log.

Meg rushed over and found there a man, clad all in leather. She hooked her arms under his and pulled with all her might. The man came free of the bog with a squelching sound.

"Thank you kindly," said the man.

"Just doing my public duty," said Meg. "Can you tell me where I might find passage across the sea?"

"Perhaps anywhere," said the man in leather. "Anywhere there's a boat with oars. I would wager that a mighty lass like you could row across the sea all by herself."

"Maybe so," said Meg. "I'd rather save my energy, though."

"Ah," said the man in leather. "Then you'll be wanting to go to the Black Pool Fort. That's where all the big boats are these days."

Meg shook her head. "No Black Pool for me, thank you. Say – how did you fall into the bog anyway?"

"Oh," said the man in leather, "just looking for some iron, that's all. Best way to find favor with the Queen, and then she might give some of our village's cattle back – "

"I am going to the Black Pool," said Meg. She tossed one of her shiny stones to the man in leather, and set off down the road at a furious pace.

Up hill and down dale she walked, barely noticing the fields and farms and herds of cattle as they flashed by, until in a vale of scraggly shrubs she breezed by a pair of people in the road, and realized they looked quite haggard. She skidded to a halt, turned around and jogged back the way she had come until she met the people she had passed.

It was a man and a woman, both gaunt and thin.

"Spare a crust of bread?" said the man.

"Certainly," said Meg, and she fished in her bag for her loaf of bread, tore off a piece, split it in two and handed one each to the starving pair.

Both of them wolfed the bread down like it was the first food they had eaten in a week.

"Spare another crust of bread?" said the woman.

Meg shook her head. "Give that one time to settle first. I've seen what happens when a starving man eats too much at once. It's a bad way to die. What's your trouble? Have you not been able to beg even a spare soup bone anywhere along your way?"

"Mostly spare soup bones," said the man. "Crusts of bread, a few curds. Not much to go around these days, apparently. Not since the queen took everyone's cattle."

"Ah ha," said Meg. "Well. I'm just going to see her about that."

The little man appeared out of the shrubs, breathing heavily. "Walk slow enough for me to keep up!" he panted. "Jaysus, I've never seen anyone go that fast."

"Hello to you too," said Meg. "Can you help me out here? Well, help these two, really."

The little man looked curious. "Perhaps."

Meg handed her pack full of food to the little man, and said, "These two are starving. I wish to give them my provisions, but if I do then they will eat it all too quickly. So, you hang onto it, and give it to them slowly, and they will get where they are going."

"Me?" said the little man.

"I don't see anyone else around," said Meg.

"Or you could carry us on your shoulders," said the woman.

"I go much too fast," said Meg. "And I am much too angry."

She gave a shining stone to the woman, and then she turned and sped off.

 

 

Now the dales and the hills were getting steeper, and there were more forests and fewer bogs, and less rain. There were more stones in the road, slowing Meg's passage -- and there were even great boulders that the path had to skirt around. At least, until Meg shoved them out of the way. But there were so many of them that Meg began to tire. Stones and stones, everywhere was stones.

And there was a stone table, and an old woman calling for help, for the table had fallen over on one side and the woman's legs were trapped under it.

"Oh help!" cried the old woman. "Get someone with a lever or something and get this awful thing off me!"

Meg rushed over to the table, got her fingers under the stone, and lifted it up off the old woman. "There you go," she said, "Scooch yourself out from under there, this thing is mighty heavy."

"I'm afraid that's not possible," said the old woman.

"Please?" said Meg.

"I mean my legs don't seem to be working anymore." She tried to push herself backwards with her hands, but it was slow going.

Suddenly the little man was there, dragging her out from under the stone.

"You always show up just when I need you," said Meg, as she let the stone drop with a mighty thud. "You have been very useful to me in the past few days."

"I can't say I understand it," said the little man. He turned to the old woman. "Can you stand at all?"

"That I cannot," said the old woman. "Pity. I am not sure how I will help thresh the wheat at this point. Oh dear, and when the young'uns all need me!"

The little man pondered for a bit. Then he stroked his chin. Then he tapped his head. Then he glanced at Meg, who was tapping her foot. "I've got it," said the little man, "hang on." He dashed into the woods.

In the next moment there was sound of a harp, and a voice singing merrily.

Out of the woods bounded a chair – a plain wooden chair, in the way that sticks with bark still on them are plain. It was as if a pile of sticks had all twisted themselves together to make a chair. Its back was sticks, and its legs were sticks, and its seat was a mat of long grasses woven together. It bounded towards the old woman and stopped there.

Meg helped the old woman onto the chair, and the woman smiled. "Goodness," she said, "I feel like a king on a throne. Alright, chair, let's be going home."

The woman and her chair went down the hill and were away.

"Fancy harp you got there," said Meg. "Why didn't you just play that thing to bring my village's cattle back?"

"Too easy," said the little man. "This is your story, not mine. I guess I'm helping you just to get you on your way, but – now you've got me helping other people!"

"That's a problem?"

"It's not like the stories," said the little man. "In the stories the fellow telling the tale never gets involved directly. Hmph. Well, I guess I couldn't stand to see you mope about anyone else's death anyway. But maybe I'll be moping about yours! Why did you give your entire supply of food away?"

"I figured I could reach the Black Pool and steal back one of the cattle when I got hungry," said Meg. "Although I'm mad enough to chew the queen's bones by now."

"You would defy your queen so easily?"

"I've told her messenger to get lost three times, so yes, I would."

"And what about giving away the shiny stones?"

"Ah," said Meg, "that's how it works in the stories, right? You give away your treasures to the unfortunate people in the road, and then it turns out they were gods in disguise or the queen or something. I don't know, I didn't need those stones anyway."

"They were a gift from Conall," said the little man.

"And you knew about that how exactly?"

"Never mind," said the little man. He scurried into the woods and vanished, leaving Meg there alone, under the sunny sky.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.