Music is our religion.

It has been shown that listening to music can stimulate the parietal lobe, the same region of the brain that becomes more active in the strongly religious when praying or meditating.

Musicians (as in Xians) gather in our places of worship, our sweaty and soaring churches. Gigs and shows, clubs and festivals.

People can worship from home, listening to their favoured passages from the good book. The book is set down in the minds of anyone making music, anywhere.

Everyone is free to interpret the religion in different ways. There is no set or favoured set of beliefs. All that matters is love of listening.

Music can provide revelation or relaxation. Sorrow or elation. It can inspire movement and emotion in evenly divided proportions. Our films and everyday lives are backdropped by it.

We relate to others through music. Common ground can be found between shared musical styles. Music is a communication between the players and the listeners.

The gospel is everywhere. Anyone can be a disciple. Those who play tend to love, but playing is not essential.



Inspired by:
"In search of God", New Scientist, 21 April 2001, p. 24
Faithless - God is a DJ
The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize
The Polyphonic Spree at Glastonbury 2003

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.