The last day of the year, December 31st. Everyone gets terminally drunk, acts queer, and thinks up a set of resolutions for the new year. These resolutions inevitably get broken by March, if not in the same night. It is also the one night of the year it is acceptable to listen to Prince's (or rather, the artist formerly known as Prince) 'Party like it's 1999'

There is always such an expectation on NYE festivities.

Usually there is a lead up time of at least one month where you are regularly asked by friends, family, co-workers and the like " What are yer doin' fer New Years?"

Bah Humbug

I am usually as pumped for the NYE festivities as the next guy... I mean, why not? It usually involves good friends, good music, alot of beer, spirits & champagne... all good stuff!

So why is this year any different?

This year isn't any different at all!... and that is exactly my point. The concept is always the same, but each year the onus is always on having a good time. No, that's not right. It's all about have a blinder of a time. In fact, it has to be one of the best night's out of the waning year.

Add this to the expectation that this NYE celebration has always got to be just as good, if not better than the preceding years and you have one big expectation.

So... the parties get bigger, the tickets are always more expensive, the consumption levels are just obscene and in general things just end up getting messy.

On this basis I think my reticence is based on the fact that to outdo last years effort, I will have to end up in the Emergency Room with a tube down my gullet.

I maybe in the minority here, but I never work well under such great expectations.


update:

My NYE party ended up being not-altogether-fowlTM and although I didn't have to get my stomach pumped, nor did I let my stomach contents see the world, I did feel rather ordinary on the 1st of Jan, 2001.

Su Dongpo (1037-1101)
New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve. You'd think I could go home early
but official business keeps me.
I hold the brush and face them with tears:
Pitiful convicts in chains,
Little men, who tried to fill their bellies,
fell into the law's net, not understanding understand disgrace.
And I? In love with a meager stipend
I hold on to my job and miss the chance to retire.
Don't ask who's foolish or wise!
All of us alike scheme for a meal.
The ancients would have freed them a while at New Year's.
Would I dare do otherwise? I am silent with shame.
*Written in 1071 when Su was vice-governor of Hangzhou. By tradition, criminal cases involving the death penalty had to be settled before the beginning of the new year.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.